1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visual Studio Express in school?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by gavcradd, Sep 14, 2011.

1. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'm teaching GCSE and AS/A2 Computing and have decided to (finally) move from the ancient VB6 to the new VB.Net Express 2010.
    The problem I'm having is that even though Visual Studio Express is free, it installs as a 30 day trial that says it will need to be registered after this. I don't fancy having to complete 70+ registrations!
    Has anyone got around this? Alternatively, I've heard of Microsoft programmes (notably DreamSpark) where programming languages can be obtained for free, but I never seem to get to the stage of finding the software - usually I'm frustrated by their insistance that I must be American.
    Any ideas?

2. We're getting to the position of needing to install a programming environment here - it's either IntelliJ idea (academic free licence), Visual Basic Express, NetBeans or Eclipse.

Any thoughts? (in terms of best IDE and easiest to get on the network....)

Edit: I'd love RealStudio but the enterprise licence costs too much for the school, even under academic pricing. It's like VB6 on heat!

3. DreamSpark is fairly easy to get into but you will need:
    <ol>[*]A school website.[*]Student emails with a specific domain name.</ol>Try to apply for it a couple of weeks before you need it but they do process it fairly quickly.

4. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

We had the same problem but if you hunt on the download page there is an 'offline installer' iso image that does not require registering.

5. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

Here is the link to the iso. We installed it and never got asked to register again.

6. Failing that, ask MS. I'm sure they're delighted that people are using their products in schools. They might give you some other stuff as well :)