1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visual spelling

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lstanton270, Jun 28, 2016.

1. lstanton270

lstanton270 New commenter

I'm looking for feedback from SEN teachers on my humorous spelling book "200 Tricky Spellings in Cartoons". The book is for visual learners, who continue to confuse similar looking words, e.g. homophones, or tricky irregular words.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/200-Tricky...UTF8&qid=1467130268&sr=8-22&keywords=spelling
    A book preview is available on the author's page: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lidia-Stanton/e/B01H7ML9EO/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
    Thank you very much for your interest and time to check out this resource.
    Please message me for more information.
    Lidia Stanton

2. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

I had a quick glance. What age group are you targeting?

3. lstanton270

From mid-late KS2 onwards through to adulthood. The book is not a structured phonemic spelling programme but a visual reference book for anyone who confuses similar sounding words, including homophones but not only, or forgets letter patterns within difficult words. You can dip in and out of the book any time to learn a particular word or words. The humour element (comical situations) enhances the reader's learning enjoyment.

4. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

i quite like it:) I'm not sure that younger ones will get the jokes though, but I tend to see what works with different people/children. :)

lstanton270 likes this.
  5. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

Likewise, not sure it would be very helpful for KS2, but okay for secondary / adults... I'd be interested to know the contents (i.e. which words are included and how they are organised within the book for ease of reference).

6. lstanton270

7. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

Thanks for that. Hadn't realised. When I looked at the sample pages, I thought the words might be too complex for average KS3 even, but I see that there are many more everyday words included, which is great!
    A few contents strike me as odd... "coffee vs. instead"? "necessary vs. occasionally"? But otherwise, a good comprehensive list, I'd say.

lstanton270 likes this.
  8. lstanton270

Many thanks for the comments. The odd contents make sense when you explore the actual spelling cartoons. NeCeSSary and oCCaSionally go together because of the reversed C-SS / CC-S spelling patterns. I've been astounded by the fantastic feedback on Amazon (17 out of 17 five-star reviews). The book makes a lot of sense to children who struggle to learn to spell using traditional methods. And it's funny in places :)