1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visual aid as a stimulus for writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JumpingStarfish, Dec 30, 2010.

1. I LOVE the idea of a feely bag! If you can find something that feels really unusual it could really capture their imaginations! Have you been told the ability of these 4 children? As you only have twenty minutes you could do some group writing rather than getting them to write lots themselves - discussions about what they think it could be, where it came from etc. You just have to have a good idea in your mind what you want from the children - is it to use adjectives/WOW words or something different? If you haven't been given any objectives it can be what you want it to be - just make sure it links to Year 2!

2. Or alternatively you could show the children the unusual object - might be better than getting them to describe it from feel alone. Or start with it in the feely bag and get them talking, then show it and get them to think about what it could be used for. Maybe you 'found' it during a walk in the woods/your dog dug it up or something.

Sorry, just thinking out loud now!

3. Hi, thanks for your ideas. I like the idea of pretending to find something ona walk and they have to feel it etc and describe it. It uses all the senses (if i can get something that smells and makes noise) lol.

There is no objective set. I can do anything (obviously relating to year 2). Do you think i could get them to write describing words on cards and get them to stick them on the object maybe? I'm thinking that maybe they should be writing sentences.

xx

4. They could write a few sentences after you've talked about it with them and maybe started them off. Could you create an interesting looking page for them to write on? Maybe starting the sentences with "I can see...I can hear..." etc. Even if the object doesn't smell they could maybe imagine what it might have smelled like, or what it smelled like where you 'found' the object? You could start with you writing the words on post-it notes and sticking it under the different senses - that way the children have good spelling/handwriting to use when they write their own sentences. Again, just ideas, feel free to use/disregard as much or as little as you like!

20 minutes really isn't very long at all - at my last interview when I had twenty minutes, all I had to do was read them a story! Even then I ran over quite considerably!

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Just remember that children can't write about something unless they can talk about it first. Discuss the object, I like the idea of a feely bag and a story behind the object, some buried treasure maybe? Go for words on post it notes first then try to extend each one into a sentence. If you have time you could then extend the sentences into a longer piece of writing. If you don't get it all written then make sure you say in the interview about where you were going to extend the lesson to.