1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

visits to schools

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by little_miss_teach, Jan 5, 2011.

1. little_miss_teach

little_miss_teach New commenter

I really wan to make the move to SEN from my mainstream position and have found a school and job I am interested in. they ask you to visit and I feel given the nature of this particular school and its pupils (I know of it through my last job) that it would be beneficial for me to visit. However, having emailed visits are only possible in the day (so you may meet the pupills) and I work 70 miles away. Is it reasonable to ask for the time. I was proposing to go Friday afternoon only missing registration and one lesson to get to the school before it closes? Is it rude to ask as many posts say you do not have to be allowed visits just interview time off?
    Thanks

2. little_miss_teach

little_miss_teach New commenter

I really wan to make the move to SEN from my mainstream position and have found a school and job I am interested in. they ask you to visit and I feel given the nature of this particular school and its pupils (I know of it through my last job) that it would be beneficial for me to visit. However, having emailed visits are only possible in the day (so you may meet the pupills) and I work 70 miles away. Is it reasonable to ask for the time. I was proposing to go Friday afternoon only missing registration and one lesson to get to the school before it closes? Is it rude to ask as many posts say you do not have to be allowed visits just interview time off?
    Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you just go in and ask, you are asking for a favour, and giving the Head the problem of covering for you.
    It would be much better if you went in with a solution.
    Who would do your registration for you? Who would cover your class? Can you do a swap with them - suggest that you do something for them next week in exchange?
    Make it possible for the Head to say yes, rather than giving a problem.
    Best wishes.

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!