1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visits - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ballerina, Mar 26, 2011.

1. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Got another interview lined up, once again they want to come and visit me in my current school. The problem I have here is that I am not having a good time in my current school. I disagree with the behaviour management policy in my school (oh you hit your teacher, come and play in my office...), with the use of LSAs and with the way we plan. I'm obviously not a right fit in my current school so I am looking for a new one. I am unhappy in my current school and to be honest - stuggling.
    So how do I get through a future employer coming to visit me in my school see me as an outstanding teacher (as I was graded by Ofsted in my last school) again?!
    Due to reschedulling in the middle of the year (a failing NQT), I have only been teaching my current class for 1 month. The NQT left before he failed and I have been moved to pick up the pieces, but it's not working!
    What can I do to shine again? Should I send them an e-mailing letting them know I haven't been teaching my class for long or will they see that as an excuse? Should I tell them about the children on a behaviour contract who are back now after being exclued? Should I explain that the levels are low, but this is not due to my fault as I have only been teaching them for such a short time. Aaaahhh!
    I know that if I can get away from this school I can regain my confidence but how do I get out if they keep coming to watch me?
    Thank you for any ideas

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you asked my HT not to come and see you in your school with that list, he would see them as excuses and you would have talked yourself out of a job.

I would suggest you follow your school's system to the letter and the behaviour plans to the letter in the observed lesson, and have copies of both in with the lesson pack you give to the visiting HT. Also include a list of the children's levels with a short note saying you have only had the class a month. Talk positively in interview about your previous class at the school and how well they are doing due to your teaching. Talk confidently about how much your current class are improving now they have you (even if they aren't!) and how well they will do by the end of the year.

Do whatever you can to bribe your class into behaving and working well. It might not be good behaviour management, but will make things better for you.

Besides HTs know schools well and, if you are applying in a similar area, will be well aware of the problems at your current school. You do not need to take responsibility for them, but nor should you use them as excuses for your own classroom.

You cannot stop them coming, without ruining your chance of a post. But you can put a positive spin on it all.

Best of Luck.