1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visiting Speaking Test Examiners (advice sought)

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by redpens, Jan 2, 2012.

1. If you are happy with the grades I'd leave well alone and not change anything! I honestly think it depends on who you get - same as for every other exam and with no disrepect to those examiners who are experienced and know exactly what they are doing I am convinced that there are a few rogue ones who don't or who with an oral exam could put pupils off. Doing the oral ourselves although we don't mark it as such we can mark the recording unofficially so we know what we think the candidates should get which gives us more ammunition if there is a dispute about results. Also our pupils much prefer to have someone they know who knows how to get the best out of them as indiviuduals. So I'm prepared to put in the hard work that is required as I think they feel more at ease with it. The upside is that it is much easier for them to be judged by necessity as more "spontaneous" with an external examiner.

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I would echo every point that Redpens makes and add that, because we record things digitally these days and send a copy on a cd or memory stick, we still have the recording if there is a dispute later on, for example about inaudibility.
    The only downside I can see would be the workload and the responsibility that goes with it. Being criticised in the feedback by an examiner when you're doing an unpaid job for an exam board is annoying.
    Mind you, when you say "my school is considering ...", I wonder where this has come from.

3. Many thanks indeedfor taking the time to share your thoughts. It was something a couple of the department were considering because of some problems caused by the feedback forms eg after the January exams last year the feedback was excellent, so we were surprised to receive more negative feedback after the summer series. Then a colleague who examined in two languages last summer got very good feedback in one of them and (you've guessed it...!) I think we'll stick with running our own, because in spite of this the marks were in line with expectations. I had never thought of it as doing the board's job for them unpaid, however - hmmm! Another issue in my school is the amount of classes that need cover just when we need every minute with the Y11s.
    Thanks again for your responses.