1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

visiting schools before applying

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Middlemarch, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It depends on whether you're primary or secondary. If the latter, you're not normally expected to visit before applying for any post and should only do so if the ad specifically mentions it.
    With primary schools, I know it's the norm and some heads won't consider your application if you don't. As you can't reasonably take time out of school for this repeatedly, I'd suggest doing a great deal of internet-based research on any school before taking the time and trouble to visit. As for the time off - if you can't do it in your PPA, it'll have to after school.

2. I didn't visit my current school before applying because there just wasn't enough time between me seeing the advert and the application closing date. In my covering letter I stated this and said that I would like to visit if shortlisted. This is in primary (deputy). The school has absolutely no problem with this.