1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visiting school prior to application for job

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by chocolateworshipper, Apr 25, 2012.

1. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I wouldn't worry about a formal visit, but I would mention in your application how your time volunteering has convinced you that this is an environment you would like to work in. Good luck!

2. Would definitely recomend a visit even though you already volunteer there, it shows your serious about your interest in working there. I know our S.L.T would not seriously consider any applicant who has not previously visited, they feel it shows disinterest and a lack of future commitment. Go for it.

3. Hi there. Firstly, good luck with your application. I would definitely make an appointment to go into the school even though you know it well. Perhaps you could arrange to observe a Year Group you're not familiar with? This will demonstrate an interest which goes above and beyond the volunteering you've already done.
    I got my first TA job in September and the interview was quite gruelling (I deliberately chose a school separate from my children's but in the same town). I was up against people who were already TA's so I didn't think I'd stand a chance. I did loads of research and made sure I was familiar with the school's policies - a lot of these can be found online. I also read up on documentation such as 'Every Child Matters'. Anyway, I must have done something right as I got the job and I'm loving it.
    They're bound to ask you about Child Protection and confidentiality/disclosure issues so make sure you're aware of all that.
    I'm sure that the fact that you're already volunteering at the school will stand you in good stead and at least you're a 'known quantity'.
    Best of luck.

4. Thanks everyone for your input. I have gone ahead and asked for a visit which is taking place next week.

The advise on this forum is fantastic, thank you.

5. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

I'm applying for a job at a local school - my first application as all my previous experience has been at another school on temporary contracts.

When I phoned today to ask for a visit, the HT was out for the day and the receptionist said that visiting the school is only done if you get shortlisted.

Has anyone else been refused a visit?