1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visiting primary schools

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by ZanyInsany, May 3, 2012.

1. ZanyInsany

ZanyInsany New commenter

Hi. I have been asked to host a number of primary DT lessons (I'm a secondary teacher) in my classroom. Has anyone got any good ideas for projects? The focus is getting the kids 'hands on' experinece so using tools, soldering irons (possibly!), materials etc. Any ideas???

2. ZanyInsany

ZanyInsany New commenter

Hi. I have been asked to host a number of primary DT lessons (I'm a secondary teacher) in my classroom. Has anyone got any good ideas for projects? The focus is getting the kids 'hands on' experinece so using tools, soldering irons (possibly!), materials etc. Any ideas???

3. Look at paper toys, there are loads to download. Students can cut them out and apply their own design. Then make them up.

4. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Hi there, this is a project which I have uploaded, which was originally designed as a primary activity. The version stored has been modified for KS3 but could be tailored,adjusted to fit. It is a Top Trumps project, worth a look?
    Cheers
    Spencer

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/KS3-DT-TOP-TRUMPS-Scheme-of-Work-6181679/
    Self contained SOW, with teacher and student notes combined. All direction is contained, with student self assessment, key literacy terms, self evaluation, NC grade space and overall teacher grade space, lesson objectives and numbered homework tasks. Key examples included and again contained within SOW. Extension activity with guidance is supplied. Simply print off all 9 worksheets, staple, give one set to each child and one for yourself. Print only A3.A simple powerpoint to accompany but is by no means necessary and no reason why students could not research the topics.