1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visiting London...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by raggedstaff, May 30, 2012.

1. raggedstaff

raggedstaff New commenter

If you were going to London for a special occasion, what would make it particularly special for you? Afternoon tea at the Ritz etc., that sort of thing. Any ideas gratefully received!

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I can recommend afternoon tea at Harvey Nichols - really good value and they will bring more of anything that you ask for.
    I love the Tower of London. It is more of a tourist destination than a special occasion thing but it is so interesting.

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

a walk along the embankment to soak up the atmosphere

4. Leicester Square seems like the heart of London to me

5. I love the river cruises on the Thames. I went on one of their lunch cruises recently and it was beautiful, especially in this weather!

6. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

It depends what you like.

Tea at the Ritz can be a bit of a conveyor belt. Pleasant enough but probably not worth the high cost even for the loos.

The delights of London are often free but it does depend on what floats your boat. One man's pleasure is another man's freak show. x

7. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

My choice would be a ballet or Opera x

8. it was a building site last time i was there (a couple of months ago) - is it fit for human consumption now?
    it really depends what you are into - history - sight seeing - shopping - theatre - spectacle - soaking up atmosphere - one day is not much time
    now if you had a fortnight, could i draw you up an itinery......

9. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

atm, the ballgown exhibition at the V&A. :D

10. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Lunch at Le Gavroche or the pre-theatre deal at Clos Maggiore wwith cocktails at Dirty Martinis in Covent Garden first.

11. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

The British museum with something to eat in their restaurant up in the roof space
    Tate modern with something to eat in the restauarant with views over the Thames and the millenium bridge - the walk across that bridge is really interesting as you can see many of the famous buildings as you walk across - St Pauls, the globe theatre,the shard,tower bridge the gherkin......

Two of my favourite days out

12. Totally agree with moonpenny - adding a milkshake at Fortnum and Mason's; speakers' corner on a Sunday morning; the Natural History Museum; a walk acros Hyde Park; Covent Garden - that's a whole day in itself; Camden Lock; a production at the Donmar Warehouse; definitely a production at the Globe...
    London is a great city to visit

13. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

:) I shall have to try one now

14. raggedstaff

raggedstaff New commenter

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'm planning three nights in October half term; OH's significant birthday. So, for maximum brownie points I am willing to splash a little more cash than usual.
    Have been looking at top end hotels too, but their rates start from £300 per night - can't stretch to that sort of dosh.[​IMG]
    But any other extravangances that are not quite in that league would be great.

15. Lunch at the Prospect of Whitby in Wapping. You go in at the front to a small, non-descript looking pub in a mainly residential area, but at the back you walk out to a wonderful panorama of the river. The food and ale are good too.

16. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

What kind of things interest you? Kew Gardens, Chelsea Physic gardens, Wallace Collection, cocktails at Claridges?

17. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

I personally would like:
    Bring a basket and a bottle of champayne. Go to Borough Market and pick some food for a picnic.
    Go to a little park (hype park is lovely) and put on some music and enjoy the day.
    In the afternoon go for a walk around the park and enjoy an ice cream or two.
    Then go for an early tapsa dinner with a bottle of red wine.
    Then in the evening go for to the threatre ( I loved Wicked)

18. the eye in the dark - and the southbank would be lovely for the picnic someone else suggested - if wet, take it upstairs in the festival hall, beyond their food bars - and just watching the thames at night is -well, it's my idea of total romance :) - you can walk down easily to tower bridge if the weather's good - you'll pass the golden hind, southwark catherdral, the old market area. there's also plenty of places to eat there - the archduke (under the railway arches) is posh downstairs, cheaper bistro upstairs
    and don't be snobby about a thames sightseeing tour - if you have the time, you can jump off at greenwich for a while - or an open bus - or combine the 2 with a ducktour - i haven't done that, but it looks splendid
    do churches interest you? westminster abbey and cathedral, st pauls, wesley's chapel - time it for a eucharist if you're religious
    go on to last minute/see tickets etc for cheap theatre tickets - but decide and start looking now - miss post is a marvel on cheap theatre tickets, but she always books 6 months ahead - what about a blockbuster musical?
    tate modern is amazing - but check what the special exhibition(s) will be in october to see if it's worth your precious time
    if you want something really quirky, look up apsley house
    st james's is the sweetest park if the weather's nice
    for a reasonable meal, a family-owned italian trattoria is a good bet - try round soho/old compton street
    enjoy!!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

None of them is ever worth anyone's precious time!

20. But the National Gallery, the Caravaggios at Hampton Court, the Wallace Collection are all well worth anybody's precious time.
    cyolba, less of a Philistine than he pretends to be :)