1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visiting Cardiff

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, Jun 23, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Planning on going away just for a few days in the Summer hols (probably just 3 nights).

We are considering Cardiff as it is a place we have never been to before. According to AA route planner it is 146miles from where we live.

Is it a place worth visiting? We are both 25, will want to do some sightseeing, some relaxing and eating out in nice places (neither of us are into 'clubbing'.)

2. It's got a nice shopping centre, a cute castle, decent museum and art gallery and more speed cameras (all with film in) to the square mile than anywhere else on earth (grrrrrrr!).
    I come from round there and to be honest I wouldn't recommend it for more than a day trip.
    Keep going along the M4 and try the Gower instead. As long as it's not raining.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Cardiff has an excellent motorway to escape away from it. Watch out for the bit that runs through Newport though as it's accident prone.

4. captain oats

Thanks for the info. I will investigate places around Cardiff and maybe leave that for just a day trip.

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

You could base yourself in Swansea - plenty to see and do in the city for a couple of days, you could easily do a day trip to Cardiff, and you could explore the Gower.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Great place for a weekend break - Range of hotels from cheap city centre B&Bs to high end resorts with spas. - loads of nice places to eat and drink, great shopping- get off the highstreet and head to the arcades for lots of lovely little independent boutiques and shops - castles galore, museums are all free - excellent outdoor museum of welsh life St Fagans well worth a day trip about 3 miles from city centre, usually cinema, theatre and stuff like that.

7. It is in Wales...

cyolba, not at all Taffbaiting :)

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Which is why 3 days isn' t nearly enough.

Cariad2, proud to be a Taff (although, for reasons too boring to go into, I'm stuck with an English accent).

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Certainly not if you wanted to sound out whether the University of Wales would be an appropriate place to study for a degree with esteem.
    The last time I visited Cardiff was a couple of years ago. The school was round the back of Splott, pretty much a wasteland as I remember. Just rows of morbid houses, I had to wait for the police to handcuff the kid they'd arrested and bundled him into the van before I could get to the school.
    Yet at the school, I found a different culture. I'd say it had among the worse school buildings I've ever visited, but the staff were proud and discipline in the school was good.
    This is what Wales is all about. Pride.
    It doesn't matter that a pie contains nothing other than gravy. It's a Welsh pie. It doesn't matter that a dish described as a sausage turns out to be a leek covered with a bland white sauce. It's a Welsh sausage, and that's all that's important.
    Other than spending a fortune trying to get the population to learn a distant language they once had that will separate them further from real life.
    I have no idea who though it would be a good idea to create a toll to get into Wales over the Severn Bridge but be free to escape, but I have to commend the decision to do this.

10. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

An uneducated statement - My family are entirely Welsh speaking as are 20% of the population of Wales. That's 1 in 5. In practice that makes finding a Welsh speaker in Wales more likely than finding an English speaker in London.

11. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

From Cardiff:-
    Castell Coch - amazing lovers' folly type place
    Caerphilly castle
    Welsh Folk musuem - stella and free
    Dr Who exhibition
    Caerleon (on the way/way home depending on where you live)
    Museum and Nat Art Gallery - brilliant.
    Place always seems to be full of eating places when I go.
    You could tie in with a show/event at the milennium centre.
    It's like everything - what you make it - I suppose.
    If you do come I hope you enjoy yourselves.
    There are some slightly off the wall shops as well if you are into that sort of thing and look. Don't be put of by the bog standard "centre"

12. captain oats

Well the area has definitely been sold to me! Now need to investigate nice hotels in the area. Thanks very much :)

13. My favourite Cardiff hotel is the Marriott as it is very central. A bit pricey, though, and ther are lots of new ones lately. THe Hilton is also convenient, and is often the mystery hotel on bookings websites. The giveaway is when the mystery hotel is 5*. THe Hilton is the only 5* hotel in the City Centre. The St.David's Hotel in the Bay is also good and has seeral stars -not really sure how many.
    sarahstevo, thinking she used to quite like cyolba :)

14. karentee

karentee New commenter

We were there over easter for a few days to go to a wedding and a day in cardiff itself is probably enough, but if you do your research you could plan some great places to visit which are not far in a car, I agree with Castle Coch, and we loved the free Roman Baths at Caerleon, we also ventured as far as Barry island and enjoyed a walk on the beach and a game fo crazy golf. Cardiff castle was far too pricey to venture in to, but we admired it from the outside.