1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visiting a school prior to applying

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon2145, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Hi there
    I am doing a Primary PGCE and have found a position that I am interested in applying for. I have checked out the school's website and read the Ofsted report (2009). From what I can tell it seems like a great school.
    In the application pack it states that if after reading the info and visiting the school you feel you could be the person we are looking for we hope you will complete the forms etc etc. So to me it reads as though a visit is expected - although in another part of the info it states that "if you would like to look around the school prior to applying, please make an appointment" etc.
    Basically, I really want to apply to this school - but I am still at uni at the moment and have very little free time what with writing essays, attending lectures etc - and am unsure whether I need to actually visit the school.
    Do you think, given their info, that it would be wise to? Would it go against me if I didn't - and just sent the application form?
    Thanks for reading.

2. Technically they can't penalise you for not going for a 'pre-visit', but if it's possible (as in you live close enough) and they have pointed out that visits are available in the advert I would suggest you try and go. It'll make a good impression at least!

Obviously, just make sure you dress smartly and are polite etc. (I realise that sounds just like common sense, but it doesn't hurt to have a reminder as I'm sure people have turned up in jeans before!)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, if possible. And make sure you tell them in your application:
    Dear Theo - Post School Visit
    I'm afraid so - I hate to say this (and I hate the schools who do it), but there are some schools who do discriminate against applicants who don't visit.
    However, if you really cannot get there, you need to say so in your application. Say that you would have wished to visit, but due to the requirements of your course at present you were unable to. However, you have read their information and website (don't mention the Ofsted), and then add something as per above.
    Make sure that you read all the advice:
    Application form help needed!!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar at 2pm on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com