1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visiting a school / internal applicants...

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by dearlouise, Jan 18, 2016.

1. dearlouise

dearlouise New commenter

A job has come up for a subject lead at a school I applied for when I was doing my PGCE... there were 2 PGCE students (myself and another) against a guy who was 3 years into teaching and was on long term supply at the school. Yes, you guessed who got the job - the long term supply! However I found it good experience as a student, so didn't mind so much.

I'm now 3 years into teaching and the same school is advertising a subject lead. Now, my gut is saying there's probably an internal candidate waiting in line for the job! So to try to figure this out, I asked to visit the school - plus I can't remember entirely what the school was like and it's also changed a little by the looks of their website and literature. I really don't remember what the kids were like etc.

However I have been offered a slot AFTER school (3:30pm) to visit... I don't understand why I would be offered after school for a potential candidate to visit. Surely you'd want the potential staff member to see your school in full working order? Unless of course... you don't want students to see random people walking around school? Or am I being completely cynical?

Really, if I can't see what the kids are like, seeing what the buzz around the school is like, I don't really want to visit... because the only other thing I want to know is actually if there is an internal candidate.

I just don't want to plough into an application which will take hours - then I'd have to tell my head I'm looking (when I'm not really - it just seems a great opportunity & it's my area & they are offering a good TLR for something I essentially do already for free) ... I'm not actively looking to leave my current role. That could open a can of worms... GAH! I just don't know.

I'm not sure whether to be cheeky and ask if there is 'any internal interest for the position' on the basis I can't visit after school?

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If a school was intent on giving a job to an internal candidate why would they waste money on advertising? It is simply not true that internal candidates get the job.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not cheeky. Daft.

;)

So you think that :
    • the school is not going to have fair procedures for appointment?
    • the school is merely pretending to be fair when putting out their advert, but really is just going to give it to an internal?
    • the school is going to deliberately make other people spend time on applications that they already know are going to be rejected?
    • and you are going to tell them, basically, that you believe all this about them by asking if there is an internal candidate?
    ;)

Sometimes internals get the job. Sometimes they don't.

Sometimes internals are only shortlisted to give them experience of interviews. Not on my watch!

Sometimes internals are only shortlisted because the Head hasn't got the courage to say I'm afraid that we didn't shortlist you, because you don't meet the criteria as well as other applicants. Not on my watch!

Sometimes internals turn out to be the strongest candidate, and are appointed.

Sometimes they don't and aren't.

I and many others on these forums can tell you of when we have appointed external candidates against internals. And the other way round.

I and many others on these forums can tell you of when we ourselves have been appointed as external candidates against internals. And the other way round.

So two pieces of advice here:

• Decide whether you are an appropriate candidate for the post - judge by doing a draft E.S. against their person specification and job description. And apply or don't apply, based on that.
    • Come down to the Jobseekers forum (scroll down to find it) to get all the applications advice. And to find out about an E.S. if you don't know what it is!
    Best wishes

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Middlemarch and wanet like this.
  4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What Theo said. All of it.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

They probably suggested 3.30 so that people would be free to talk to you. During the working day, few people are available to talk to visitors.
    There might be an internal candidate - but if one was that strong they would have quietly offfered it. I have known long term supply who have not been offered jobs!