1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VISA status and NQT Job

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by uk343, Mar 29, 2016.

1. uk343

uk343 New commenter

Hi all ,

I am applying for Maths NQT Job in September,2016. My Spouse Visa expires in end of September,2016 and can be renewable. Will there be any school prepare to offer me job based on that Immigration circumstance ?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I assume you also require a visa? if so Maths is a recognised shortage subject even by the Home Office so a school can make a solid application for a permit

3. uk343

uk343 New commenter

Thank you so much for you advice .
    Could you please tell me how the school is going to make an application for a permit for me ?Is that a lengthy process for the school .
    There is a school that prepares to offer me a job but they seem abit reluctant because of the visa situations. They do not seem to know the process of applying for Work Permit.

Thank you indeed.

4. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

Renew your spouse visa - shorter route to Indefinite Leave to Remain. If you can give the school all the info, they should overlook your visa status as a spouse visa allows unrestricted work. Have you only had the visa for about 2.5 years so far?

Applying for a Tier 2 (even though you are shortage) is a HUGE hassle for the school. Most won't touch it with a barge pole!

uk343 likes this.
  5. uk343

uk343 New commenter

Big thank you to oscillator! That is great advice . You must have had a lot of experience in this field. I will inform the school about my situation and see what they say. Thanks.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

uk343 likes this.
  7. oscillator

A very long history. If you renew your spouse visa, you are only 2.5 years away from being able to stay in the UK permanently. If you switch to Tier 2 General, you re-set your 'clock' and it is another 5 years to ILR.

In my experience (as a shortage teacher), schools are a bit scared of visas, but as long as you assure them that they don't need to do anything to support this aspect of your employment, they tend to breathe a big sigh of relief and carry on as normal. Just give them the facts they need and let them know you are fully aware of the process.

uk343 likes this.
  8. uk343

uk343 New commenter

Thank you so much for your advice

9. uk343

uk343 New commenter

Thank you to your advice indeed. You are in exactly the same situation as me then. I can relate to everything you mentioned.
    I am indeed concerned about "Re-set the clock " as you mentioned. Plus, I will be 5 months away from 10-years -long stay route as I have been here more than 9 years.
    So, would you suggest staying as Spouse, or switching to " Shortage " ?If I switch to "Shortage" teacher like you, what do the schools need to do to sponsor me? Do you feel risky sometimes staying as "Shortage" visa as rules can change every year?
    Sorry to bother you with lots of questions!:)

10. uk343

uk343 New commenter

And I forgot to mention that my 2.5 yr Visa will expire in September ,2016.So the school will be a bit reluctant with my situation. I read that switching to "Shortage" I will have to leave the UK and apply for this Visa.
    Thank you.

11. oscillator

As I suggested before, renew your spouse visa.

The school would have to be on this list of sponsors to sponsor you. More info:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...9/2016-03-30_Tier_25_Register_of_Sponsors.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

Do some research.

No employer has ever had a doubt as soon as I reassure them about how little they have to do (if on a spouse visa they need to do zilch). Layout for them the process of renewing the visa and how you will do so in August. Good communication will help you, but if they don't want to hire you, they won't!

uk343 likes this.
  12. uk343

uk343 New commenter

Thank you ,I will inform the school and see what they say