1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Visa situation in Asian countries

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by princesstulip, Dec 21, 2015.

  1. princesstulip

    princesstulip New commenter


    Firstly sorry if this is answered elsewhere. I did spend a while searching and couldn't find anything.

    I'm getting ready to apply for jobs in Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong. Good opportunities in those countries and I don't mind which. At the moment I live in middle east and my fiance is here too. He will obviously want to come with me if I get a job in one of those places. He's not a teacher and because of his area of work, there's quite a possibility he won't find a job before we leave if it comes to that, it would be easier for him to look when he's there.

    So I'm looking for any information about how visas would work. We'll be married by then if I do get a job for next August. I've tried searching information for those countries but so confused - is there anyone who has done this or looked into it and could make things a bit clearer or point me in the direction of some clear information? Where we live now you have to be sponsored either by your employer or by your spouse to live here but it's only the husband who can sponsor the wife, not the other way around. That's just because of how society works here in general! I don't know if he could come with me just as my husband and look for work and get a working visa from an employer, or if he would need his own visa from the start.

    Thanks for reading!
  2. FreeSpeaker

    FreeSpeaker Occasional commenter

    Each country is different, but normally if you do not arrive with a work visa you cannot work there. Therefore, your spouse will need to gain employment and said visa before arriving, or take the spousal visa and not work.

Share This Page