1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visa for US Volunteer Teacher

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lotthamm, Sep 12, 2019.

1. lotthamm

lotthamm New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at volunteering in the US as an Elementary classroom assistant from April - June. Can anyone who has had volunteer experience over there tell me what visa I would need? Is it a specific one or can I go on the visa wavier?

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I’ve not heard of this sort of arrangement before. Have you been in touch with a school or agency about it?
    My understanding is that the US government is not enthused about bringing in foreigners to do jobs that locals can do. And there is no shortage of assistants to my knowledge. I could be wrong.
    A quick google makes it appear that you would need to be sponsored. Maybe look into that?

3. lotthamm

lotthamm New commenter

Yes my boyfriend's cousin is an Elementary teacher in CT. You're right though, they don't like to bring in people for jobs that locals can do, but this isn't any old job. Classrooms always appreciate more help, and because I would be going in as a volunteer I wouldn't be getting paid. It seems like a win-win situation to me. My plan is to go and see how I like it over there and if I like it apply to do a masters in teacher training there.

What did you type into google to find out that info? Was it for people going there to earn money or not? Because I googled and couldn't find anything about visas for volunteers.

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I don't think many schools would see it as a win-win situation. There will be a lot of administration work involved in letting someone in to the classroom and free or not, the school have to be sure that they vet any volunteers in the same way they would paid staff. Add to this that the person is from overseas and they would have to do additional visa work for someone to sit in on classes for a few months. It wouldn't be worth their effort

It's not as simple as them getting some free help and they probably wouldn't be interested for a short amount of time unless you knew the principal personally

5. lotthamm

lotthamm New commenter

I appreciate that because I'm a volunteer here, but I've just been accepted to come into the school.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter