1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Virus protection

Discussion in 'Personal' started by decj, Nov 22, 2015.

1. decj

decj New commenter

Hi Everyone,
    What would people recommend as a virus protection package for a PC and two laptops, please? I have been with Norton for a year, but don't want to continue with them, as they charge twice as much (£50) in year two. Are there any good free-to-download packages please? Someone has mentioned, Kaperski - anyone know anything about that, please?
    Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

2. By_the_BrownKnoll

By_the_BrownKnoll Occasional commenter

Comodo - free and the best I believe.

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I use Avast. It's free and it works well enough. It pops up with messages every now and again suggesting I might want to upgrade to the premium version, but I can live with that.

kent1 likes this.
  4. decj

decj New commenter

Thank you so much. I will look into these.
    :)

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No experience of the free ones but with Norton when I got to the end of year one I just cancelled it and then bought a new package. Had a bit of chitchat with their online help guy and I was saying 'Why should I pay £48 when it is £21 in the shops'.

The guy was very helpful!

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I swap between Avast and AVG depending on which one has the most annoying pop-ups at the time and support both (not at the same time obviously) with a specific malware program (at this time malwarebytes ... there are others)

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Have used AVG free for years with no problems.

8. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

kaspersky internet security for me. worth paying for. used to use avg and avast free but they were very resource heavy and slowed my computer to a crawl.

9. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

If you do online banking they sometimes have virus protection software you can download - Barclays has Kaspersky.