1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Virtual Worlds suggestions for KS1

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by timlondinium, Jun 19, 2016.

1. timlondinium

timlondinium New commenter

Good evening all,

I'm planning a Computing lesson to look at a simple adventure game or simulation for my Year 2 class. Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable virtual experience that will allow them to explore real-life situations or imaginative worlds (as safely as possible)?

I have found a few possible suggestions on Mr P's ICT blog but if anyone has any suggestions they would be very gratefully received. If they are free, all the better, but I could possibly check my budget for any that cost.

Thank you and enjoy the rest of the weekend,

Tim

2. leemurphy1

leemurphy1 New commenter

Hi Tim. Have you thought about a train simulator? There are some free online ones here - http://www.realrailway.com/en/sim/online/ - you could talk about how train simulators are used in the real world to train (no pun intended) their staff safely, and thus being an advantage of virtual reality.

In terms of virtual worlds 'Sims' is a clean game to play and you can pick the originals up for <£5.00 on eBay or Amazon. If you are not familiar with Sims, you create a character and build a house and then live in the house, get a job and clean etc. It's very straight forward.

Hope this is what you are looking for...
    p.s. Enjoying the last 55 minutes of my weekend! ;-)

3. timlondinium

timlondinium New commenter

Thanks for the response Lee, it's very much appreciated! I will try both ideas with my class. Enjoy the 10080 minutes of your week ;)