1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

virtual learning environment/ platform in Early years

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by essc, Feb 26, 2012.

1. essc

essc New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm a reception class teacher and ICT leader for an infant school and will soon be trialling a VLE/VLP with my class with a view to roll it out to the rest of the school if it is a success.

Does anyone/ has anyone used one for FS2 pupils (in particular) and can offer some handy hints?

Many thanks[​IMG]

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We have one at school. I used it a lot with my Reception pupils last year, but we've just bought into a different one which I haven't got to grips with yet, so haven't shown it to this year's children.
    Last year, we used it both for parents and children. To support parents, we uploaded a weekly summary to let them know what we were going to be learning about that week, copies of any letters, and "homework" eg the sheets that we sent home with Jolly Phonics letters and actions or key words.
    The old Learning Platform had both year group pages and class pages. On the year group page we put things like dates for key events. On my class page I embedded videos linked to the current topic (eg you tube clips of related songs), slideshows containing photos of things the class had been doing, links to phonic, number and topic games (I added a new one each week), quizzes and forums if we'd done something particularly exciting (eg "what did you enjoy most when we visited the farm?")
    The parents found it useful, and the children enjoyed it. I found the key to making it work, was to use it in class. Eg put it on the IWB and play the videos at snacktime. If a child had made a comment in a forum, then I read it out to the class to encourage others. When I put a link to a new game, I'd show children where to find the link and how to play the game, and leave it on the classroom computer for the rest of the day, so that they'd know how to play it at home if they wanted to.