1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Virtual interview

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by panandtilt, Apr 13, 2020.

1. panandtilt

panandtilt New commenter

I applied for a headteacher position before the shutdown and have just heard that they will be undertaking virtual interviews. Has anyone had experience of this type of interview and could share some tips? I’ve been told there will be a panel interview and some timed written tasks.
    Many thanks

2. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I have recently experienced this - didn’t get the job. But that was right.

I found it hard to build a rapport as limited non-verbal communication. I hadn’t realised quite how much I valued that!

I got suited and booted, as it made me feel I was at work.

I made a flask of coffee - and lunch - in advance - you don’t get much turn around... much as on an actual day!

Check your tech. Mine failed the night before which meant I spent the evening scrambling for a back up instead of preparing or relaxing!

Other than that, prepare as you would for any interview.

feverz likes this.
  3. panandtilt

panandtilt New commenter

Thank you for your advice, I have been getting loads of great advice from various people and feel much more prepared now.

4. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Good Luck for your interview :)

5. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do they assess the quality of your timed tasks when you're being interviewed remotely?

6. cornflake

They will "mark" them in the same way.
    I had mine emailed at a certain time with a deadline for return

7. panandtilt

panandtilt New commenter

What kind of timed tasks am I to expect?

8. panandtilt

panandtilt New commenter

What kind of tasks did they email?

9. cornflake

A mix: in tray, letter writing, data, improvement planning tasks....
    I won't say much else - except I think you can tell a lot about an organisation by how they manage the recruitment process e.g. whether they set relevant interview tasks, or just make stuff up for candidates to do!! As time went by, I was less and less sure I wanted to work there...

10. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I hope some of the questions were about how to deal with emerging from the current situation and how to support pupils and staff.

On to the next one, cornflake.

11. cornflake

Indeed!!
    Let's just say I made more reference to those things than others....
    It's good to remember that interviews are a two way process ;)

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  12. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

As a non-headteacher, but someone with considerable experience in industry before entering the teaching profession, I wouldn't wish to go to a school whose management thought that it was possible properly to interview and appoint a headteacher via the internet.
    If they cannot wait to appoint via more usual methods when the country eventually returns to something a bit more like normal, there is something very wrong at the school.

13. cornflake

Really? Why? International schools do not conduct physical face to face interviews ...

14. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

.....and if they need a head teacher for September they only have a month left to appoint, and face to face interviews are unlikely in that time.

15. cornflake

Technically, they have until August 31st to appoint! Some candidates are searching for a new post, having already resigned from their current one....

16. panandtilt

panandtilt New commenter

I appreciate your comments, I think in the current climate it is their only option and they have conveyed to me that this is not what they want but something they have been forced into with the current situation.

17. panandtilt

panandtilt New commenter

Well I now know I have some tasks (finance related, teaching and learning related and collective worship related) being sent to me and I have a 2 hour window to send back via email. I will be chatting with staff virtually and then a virtual interview with governors, LA and Diocese.

18. cornflake

How did it go?

19. panandtilt

panandtilt New commenter

It went very well, I actually enjoyed the whole process. My feedback was excellent, they said I was very prepared etc but because of my lack of financial experience the position was offered to another candidate who had more. Shame as I really loved the school but never mind onwards I go and I know what CPD I need in the next few months. Thanks for asking

20. cornflake

Great feedback. Can you share anything about the tasks/experience that might be helpful for others?