1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Virgin Ultra HD

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Sep 17, 2018.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well we have the right TV and th right package and the TiVo 6 box but the picture ( Channel 999 ) is just awful. What are we doing wrong ? ( Watched Wimbledon / World Cup in UHD in the summer and that was definitely fine ). Just thought we would check it out - usually in bed now :)... Anyone else found it wanting ?

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Oops - think we weren’t accessing properly ? Ok but our routine channels are significantly better in my opinion - hey ho

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So how is 'ultra' HD different to HD? Does Judy Dench have more wrinkles?

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I can't answer this but it reminded me...

We recently rewatched a few Jonathan Creeks from the 1990s... streaming on Netflix..

The picture quality was not good... not terrible but it wasn't an easy watch. Makes me wonder what the quality will be like in another 20 years.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

We have just signed up again with Virgin, but this time for a more ultra fast internet. I don't see any difference

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

UHD - sharper - almost 3D at its very best ? Sport events ( my chosen viewing most of the time )can be exceptional.

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Although I have a Blu-ray player, I very rarely watch anything in full HD. I actually find it very difficult to discern the difference. If you concentrate very hard you can see the difference but as soon as you follow the film that tends to disappear.

What I did notice very much when buying a TV was that a full HD TV was much better than an HD Ready TV for general watching. There is also the thing about size, watching ordinary TV on a 55inch screen can a actually get rather uncomfortable if it is in a small room. You also end up looking at the artifacts produced by the digital processing.

My next TV will probably be an UHD mainly because, again, looking at the sets the UHD sets produce a nicer picture with fewer artifacts. They usually have better connectivity. One thing I have seen in the press is the complaint that the Smart TV section stops accessing services after a while. Our Blu-ray player doesn't seem to suffer from this.

It is also noticeable that many HD Ready sets are still on sale, buyer beware.

Anyway here's a You Tube with some UHD thoughts.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I have to watch in the lowest definition available, and still have to endure buffering somewhere in the programme.
    The internet is not adequate for current video on demand round here.
    It's why we still buy DVD / Blu-ray

9. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I refuse to buy Virgin or Sky. So I don’t know!

nizebaby likes this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I just wish that Virgin would leave me alone.

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah - that’s ok ! You pay your money etc( . I am not a foodie so never eat out - total waste of dosh for me but for others a joy ) ... am HI so sound bar and great picture v important to my quality of life

12. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Your call good luck to you. I just couldn’t bear giving money to Branson and Murdoch.

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I can't believe that anything associated with Sir Branson could be overhyped and underperform.