1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Virgin Trains will no longer sell Daily Mail

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Jan 9, 2018.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I hope you are better soon.

2. red_observer

If that is what you think I hope you are happy.

3. red_observer

Are you Barry Norman?

4. red_observer

If that is aimed at me then all I am saying is, and it’s fairky obvious to most, is that I am sorry that your opinion is as it is but you have every right to express it. Perhaps you could have been nicer about it but that’s up to you isn’t it...?

5. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Oh dear me.

6. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

It' s what Corbyn has said will happen, His views are well to the right of yours.

7. red_observer

Shall we stop all this banter/hostility? I’m fed up with it and accept my part in it. Let’s move on eh @elledriver ?

elledriver likes this.
  8. red_observer

Ok sorry. I’m ready to move on. Apologise to you if I’ve been stupid of late @Calpurnia99

9. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

Its always funny to see the people screaming about "censorship" and "Banning" things (its not a ban btw) are always the people who you could find wanting to back UKIP/Press led campaigns to "ban the burka" :rolleyes:

also didnt the Mail only sell like 70 copies on virgin trains last month? and Virgin said they were only going to offer 3 newspapers on Oct, so it's clearly been media manipulated outrage so the luvvies at the Guardian etc can give a positive spin on the Moral Authority of..............*breathes* Richard Branson

Remember him? the guy that sued the NHS

Bravo him................. PPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTT

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I knew you wouldn't know.
    I was going to tell you but...meh.

11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

So many isms. So much phobia.

12. elledriver

Sir Richard Branson tells Virgin Trains to lift ban on Daily Mail
    Branson says decision was taken without his knowledge and company should not be seen to be ‘censoring’ or ‘moralising’
    Today's Guardian.

13. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

From the BBC website:

Virgin Trains is to reverse its decision to stop selling the Daily Mail on its West Coast services.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42687568

Virgin Group boss Sir Richard Branson said he instructed the firm to restock the paper while a review takes place.

Virgin Trains had said the decision came after "feedback from our people". But Sir Richard said he was unaware of the move and the operator must never be seen to be "censoring" customers.

The Daily Mail said it welcomed the "support for freedom of speech".

14. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Ah well. For a while there I thought RB had found a tiny little bit of principle I could actually admire.

As you were ...

15. elledriver

I doubt he was ever involved in the selection of newpapers and periodicals to be sold on trains before now.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I wonder why they hasn't been outrage at Virgin trains not stocking other newspapers? If I have time, I have to buy a paper at the station before getting on Virgin West coast as there's no way I'm spending anything on the Daily Hate Mail.

17. elledriver

There was no public moral announcement about not stocking those other titles.

18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Proof if needs be, that Branson is yet another public figure frightened of the gutter media.

19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

He has a business to run. The Mail is a top selling newspaper with one of the most viewed websites on the planet.

His first worry was customers might go elsewhere but probably more that upsetting the Mail in this very 'nose turned up' way, would have led to the Mail going after him and doing some 'digging' journalism in areas he really does not need. (Ripping off the NHS, for example...the Mail had indeed started articles about that).

20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

So you write for them too?