1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Virgin Trains will no longer sell Daily Mail

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Jan 9, 2018.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

So you don't read it but you are critical of what is published? How do you manage to vicariously read it and comment by proxy?

2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I think you are trying to stretch this! You know what I mean. I don’t buy the Mail. I see links to what they write on the net. I know the Mail is a racist and fascist rag and supported Hitler in the 30s as well as Pinochet in the 80s

3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I read the Mail online. You can always tell which articles came from the Daily Mail and which from the Mail on Sunday, which is far more reasonable (apparently its due to the rivalry/hatred between Geordie Greig and Murdoch MacLennan). The problem is often not the actual articles, though the standard of sub-editing is appalling, and the "sidebar of shame" articles are an insult to the intelligence. The big problem is the comments underneath the articles, which are notable for misogynism, racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism and Islamophobia.

4. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Ironic, that the same newspaper proprietor founded TES. You are tainted by being here.

needabreak likes this.
  5. needabreak

Founded perhaps but hasn't it since been sold off?

6. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I am sorry you think that way

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I can't try it! You've said anybody who reads it is an idiot, and I honestly don't want to jeopardise my smarts!
    Such an awful quandary...

8. elledriver

in 1922

9. needabreak

Ooh did you google or are you just very good at remembering dates?

Do either of you care to elaborate on exactly who you are referring to? Which founder and proprietor and which newspaper? It can be confusing for us mere mortals reading this you know.

10. elledriver

Alfred Harmsworh founded the Dail Mail, Daily Mirror and TES. He also acquired the Times, Sunday Times and Observer.

11. needabreak

Ah thank you kindly. Oh go on tell, did you know that or did you google?

12. elledriver

I know a lot of stuff in general and google retrieves the dates or finest-detail. So I know who started the Mail and Mirror and what he owned but not the dates.

13. needabreak

Ah like a lot of folk then, perhaps it's just me that didn't retain the name I was aware that it was part of the group that owned the Times at one point but didn't know about the rest, that said to own the Mirror and Mail given alleged political alliances could illustrate an element of balance, although I am guessing it is a little more complicated than that... like owning the Times and Sun used to corner both ends of social class with an alleged alliance in fairly right wing viewpoints, although like the DM I don't know current details as I am not as well read in terms of the Sun.

14. elledriver

I wouldn't class the Times as right wing and/as it has a pretty diverse group of journalists/contributors.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

He won't know who that is. Or rather, who is being portrayed. Or why you chose it.

16. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

"I'm sorry that you think that way"?
    What kind of response is that to a cogent alternative position?
    None?

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Oh, well played!
    Not many people know about THAT one, I think.
    To be fair, though, I thought the Manchester Guardian's support for the Confederacy was more around endorsing the principle of self-determination than about slavery. Funny, if the war had been just about self-determination and I'd been around then I'd have been on the opposite side to my Union-serving great-great grandfather.

18. needabreak

Ah well I did say allegedly and it would of course vary from time to time. There is at least one regular columnist who is most definitely right wing in her approach but her name escapes me. On balance given the comments on many articles I suspect the readership would reflect a fairly right wing consensus.

19. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

"I'm sorry you think that way" translates as "I am running squealing to the moderators because you gainsaid me".

Interesting take on the notion of free speech.

20. elledriver

On the plus side, once the railways are nationalized the ban will be lifted to ensure press freedom.