1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Virgin Trains will no longer sell Daily Mail

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Jan 9, 2018.

1. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Unlikely. They understand why and just read them.

2. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Mr Osborne can run his Remain focused agenda through his Remain focussed and funded Evening Standard for the Remain focused City of London and safely throw bricks at fellow journo Mr Johnson. Osborne can retake the Tory party from his London stronghold when Brexit is proved to be the disaster that he always said it would be.

3. elledriver

Online newspapers seem to have a big advantage in that it allows people to read newspapers they don't like and get upset about it. In the old days you just read the paper you liked.

needabreak likes this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

That's the posh south for you. :D
    We only get the option of the Metro

I grab one every so often.....
    Useful for lighting fires at least :cool:

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think you underestimate your fellow citizens, Madge. There's only so much s hit people are prepared to read to overcome the boredom of a daily commute.

I have to confess to being grateful for the free newspapers, since it allowed my sweetheart to line her rabbit's cage with them. Occasionally she'd say to me " I don't know if the rabbit is OK or needs to see the vet, because there's so much s hit in the paper I just cleared up."

I was able to tell her we could save on the vet's fees because I read the headlines on the train.

6. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I’m sorry you feel this way

7. red_observer

I’m sorry you feel this way

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

No, if you don't read it then it's all hearsay. If you do read it then you would be tarred with your own DM reader insults.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Hang on-if you read it, then you're an idiot.
    And if you don't read it, then having no chance to know what it is about, you are an idiot.
    Have I understood your posts?
    Or am I being an idiot here?

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

If Virgin trains ban the sale of the DM, what are passengers going to use for lavatory paper, as VT does not seem to supply much of it

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

When I am at my aunty's in bolton i get to read the Mirror as she has it delivered.
    That is a load of left wing views and opinins plus all in bite size chunks for instant digestion oF readers.
    Its views are based upon opinion rather than investigative journalism.
    I read ,where i can, a range of papers and online internet reports. I do not read them for the views they express but more for the coverage....in reality the DM seems more concerned with Americain problems than British.The Express is concerned with Brxit, the Guardian with beliving the myth that Corbyn wil be PM and occasional genuine alternative views to life. The Indpenent to seeking to gain a number of views but with a heavy bias to Leftish views,,,,but again some good articles on a range of subjects. The Times and Fnacial Times are guarded by pay walls...but in the local cafe are the first to be stolen if they are offered for reading while partaking of a brew. In the same cafe the Sun is a hit with the workmen..bits and pieces and self opinionated. The Telegraph is right biased.but still maintains some good investigative journalism...but i tend to buy that when i have time so sit down and read it.AS a broad sheet you cant read that easily on the Tube.
    Talking of which on the Tube the Metro is read a lot and dicarded a lot ...similarly with Evening Standard at night.....mosty advertising in both cases after the first 10 pages.
    ALL papers have biases,the skill is to recognise the bias and pick ou tthe salient points and dicard the irrelevant points. A thinking person should never eject anything out of hand.but read,consider and then use it to educate onself to a range of opiions...even if they do not always match your own views. As the saying goes 'there are 2 sides to every piture,and the reverse of a picture can tell us a lot about the picture as can looking at the front.

12. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Beat me to it. I love the Daily Mail - it is soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent.

needabreak likes this.
  13. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Can't stand the DM, however don't agree with banning publications if they're not illegal.A while ago read about how Tesco can make or break authors as supermarkets are the biggest sellers of popular fiction; they use their influence to get changes to books as well as lads mags. Its a slippery slope and we're hurtling towards the bottom.

14. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

THe DM is not being banned by Virgin - if passengers want to take their copy of the DM on board with them, they're free to do so . They are just chosong not to sell it, in the same way Tesco don't sell every brand of chocolate or soap powder. Virgin don't sell The Guardian either ...

15. elledriver

Probably because of their support for slavery in the USA.

artboyusa likes this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Do Virgin sell TES? If not, why not? Does it attract the wrong sort of passengers?

17. red_observer

I know all about the Daily Mail. Try it and get back to me

18. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Either your posts are too literal or we take them too literally since you clearly wouldn't call yourself an idiot.

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

20. red_observer

I would do if I read it!