1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Virgin Trains will no longer sell Daily Mail

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

"Just popping down to the newsagents for a paper and a pint of milk, dear. Put the kettle on... It'll be coming to the boil by the time I get back."

"Doors closing. Welcome about the Virgin High Speed service to Birmingham..."

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I have to confess Mrs MSB gets the DM on a Saturday (only) because she says the TV Guide is easier to follow than most, but she never pays for it - she pops into Waitrose. The alleged 'newspaper' section goes straight into the recycling unread.

Can't be long before Branson ends up the subject of an exclusive investigation in the Sunday Mail then.

3. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I'm not the one supporting suppression of a legal publication just because it doesn't suit your political view.

peter12171 likes this.
  4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

5. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I’m against fascist newspapers which ignite racist tensions and therefore break the law in my opinion. I don’t care. It’s my view. I’d ban any publication that was homophobic, racist and anti immigrant. Up to you if you want to read it.

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

It's good that there are those who know what is best for the little people. People who haven't been to university need their choices made for them.

wanet, peter12171, Jesmond12 and 2 others like this.
  7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

It's free choice. Shopkeepers can decide what to sell (eg. the demise of the Sun in Liverpool), advertisers can decide where they place their ads (Paperchase and the DM) and individuals are free to buy/read whatever they like.

8. red_observer

I am so sorry you feel that way.

9. elledriver

I thought it was because the people didn't want to buy, it rather than shopkeepers deciding that people should not be allowed to read it.

10. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I don't read the DM for the same reason I don't read magazines: there is too much in it that I have no interest in. I don't thereby presume to prevent anyone else from reading it. You toss the word "fascist" about with some freedom, Red-Observer. Perhaps the irony passed you by.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The thing is, if you took all the obnoxious politics out of them and looked objectively at the content that was left, they would all still be a dull read.

red_observer likes this.
  12. red_observer

Read beneath the headline, mate.

13. red_observer

True enough. I don’t buy newspapers anymore. Mainly as I’m sick of the c r a p in them and why would I want to read Tory propaganda anyway?

14. red_observer

[QUOTE="Calpurnia99, post: 12359182, member: You toss the word "fascist" about with some freedom, Red-Observer. Perhaps the irony passed you by.[/

I am very happy to toss fascists at any opportunity...[/QUOTE]

15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Yep
    That's the real answer.
    The hell with the freedom of the press and the right to hold opinions that differ from yours.
    Ban them all so they can't infect the minds of people who aren't as bright and discerning as you are.......

I would never buy the Mail or the Sun but I'm happy, providing they keep within the relevant laws, to defend their right to publish and to be read.
    I don't believe I have a right to enforce my opinions on anyone

wanet, colpee, nomad and 2 others like this.
  16. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

You might want to rephrase that :eek::D

wanet, nomad and red_observer like this.
  17. red_observer

Toss them into the dustbin of History!

18. red_observer

Another Straw Man Argument. Many posters are becoming experts at it. I wold ban fascist rags. In my view the Sun and Daily Heil are fascist papers so logically I would ban them. What’s wrong with that viewpoint? I abhor fascism.

19. elledriver

You need to update your avatar.
    [​IMG]

lanokia likes this.
  20. red_observer

I’m really sorry you feel this way.