1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Virgin Media Broadband

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shakes1616, Sep 30, 2020.

1. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

Ours currently costs £82 a month. But when you look at the packages it says £51 a month for broadband and phone after 18 months @ £27 a month.

We have a TV add on as well. I don't understand how they get £82 a month for broadband, Phone and TV.
    Virgin Media are quite expensive then it seems. I know VAT is added but that wouldn't amount to £31. Then there is the usage amount which was about £10 and I guess this is the phone calls made. Altogether £91 this month. I thought broadband and TV/phone would be cheaper than this. Ours is the M100 package

2. shakes1616

TIME Delay

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I get unlimited UK phone + 200 mbs for 60 something. 70 something including useless basic TV.

4. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

We left Virgin media earlier this year. Like you price was high and far from transparent. Its a waste of time talking to customer services. You will get someone overseas who reads off a script and can't help. Find a new provider save yourself so cash (and high blood pressure)

5. LondonCanary

I thought that until I found out that other providers had much slower speeds.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Our provider is average for broadband costs but the price it charges for phone calls is very expensive per minute, more than my mobile phone.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Our provider is currently paying us to take its broadband after a bit of a c ock up last year. We're pretty happy with that! We don't have any television in with ours, but when we go back to paying it'll be about £30 a month plus phone calls (we hardly make any so negligible) for unlimited everything and a decent speed, which is only restricted by our ancient phone line.

8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I am with Virgin and I will say when it all works, the service is very good and the internet strong and reliable.

BUT....when it has an issue and you need to call them, nothing can be worse than trying to deal with VM customer services. Takes ages to get through and then it seems they have trained the workers there not to listen to your issue.

Every year I have to call to cancel as they up my bill from 27 quid or so to 42. They have put it back to 27 or so the last 2 years in succession and I am due another go next week as it is up to 42 again in October.

They promise a new lower price but nah, it becomes 'sorry sir, was not connected by my colleague last time you called'. (Has happened twice, finally got Branson ((Head Office)) to send me a cheque to cover the loss)

Last year they sent me a contract for 25 quid a month but have charge 27.50 ever since.

Seeing as how dog awful their customer services can be, I am fine with this and let it go.

So...my advice is go with them if you want decent net speeds and connections but make sure you have the patience of a saint and no blood pressure problems for when - not if - you need to call their customer services.

9. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

We were supposed to be getting 100mbps with Virgin but checked the actual speed we got over a 2 week period. Only once was it above 40 mbps. The connection had become unreliable since it was upgraded to superfast broadband. We now get much better average speeds and more reliablity . Currently getting broadband, a landline and 2 mobile sim only contacts for less than we paid for Virgin broadband only

10. foroff2233

foroff2233 Occasional commenter

Shakes, you'll find matters equally opaque and expensive if you look to Sky.

11. LondonCanary

That is bad. OTOH mine tends to run at 200 or more..

12. shakes1616

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

VM don't have a transparent fee policy and will charge different people different prices for the same thing.

We have landline, 200MPS and enhanced TV package (including Sports, but not movies). We pay £69.00.

If you call their customer services, the initial person you speak to (usually Indian or Phillipino) have limited flexibility with regards to prices. If you say you are going to leave/cancel, they will then usually put you through to UK customer services who have some more flexibility. They have daily quotas of deals each day and these may differ from day to day.

What you should do is ask to speak to their 'retention department' as these are the last line of defence and the ones which generally have more flexibility with offers.

Basically, as they probably have the best internet speeds, they have you by the sh**t and c*rlies.

It is worth persisting and keeping a note of who you speak to/date/time as well as the details of the package they offer you. That way you can often call at a later date and quote the offer given (I believe this is recorded on your account notes).

It is a very long winded, unfair and frustrating process.

dumpty likes this.
  14. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

We are very satisfied with Virgin Media. If you think you are being over-charged, then ring up and announce your intention to change providers. They usually manage to find a saving for you somewhere. It's the same principle as changing motor and household property insurers. Good payers get stealthily but steadily more exploited. It's called the free market, one of those wonderful capitalist oxymorons.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have 100mB of broadband and unlimited calls anytime with Virgin for £33 per month. Before we moved I also had their basic TV package which was free IIRC there was a charge for the TIVO box which I think was £6 per month.. Can't use that at the moment so cancelled the TV bit when we moved. Blazer major bought me an Amazon fire stick last christmas. It is still in the box at the moment but when we move to the new place we shall give that a whirl before we decided whether to have the virgin TV again.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

200 millibits per second? We in the land of Supervalu are dead jealous.

SeanbheanMac likes this.
  17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Cheaper and faster than @LondonCanary.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I get about 60000000000 mbs. Bloody zeroes.

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

We are with Virginmedia. Haven't had any reason to contact them for technical issues, but I did contact them when they wrote to say the price would be going up. I called them on the number on the letter, which is probably different to the one used for general enquiries. The conversation went like this:

"Hello you're through to Customer Services, how can I help?"

"It's about a letter you sent telling me my broadband will be going up by four quid a month..."

"Yes, how can I help?"

"I'm calling to say that it won't be, and I want to let Richard Branson why. He's not a mug. He knows it's a competitive business. I ain't a mug either and so far as I'm concerned, Virgin Media just made themselves uncompetitive. You can either put Richard on the line so I can personally tell him to whistle, or you can sort it out yourself, if you don't lose my custom."

"OK sir, how about if we reduce your bill by £24 a month and put you on our fastest broadband, would that encourage you to stay with us?"

"Fine."

Seriously, that's word for word how the conversation went

20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

No one should ever go near any Virgin product or service. Disappointment is inevitable.