1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Violent attack by students

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by annapool, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Working in a pru I deal with difficult behaviour daily. SLT are usually very supportive. However I have been left reeling after being advised to 'laugh' as a technique for dealing with students who violently attacked me leaving me in quite a lot of pain. No-one from SLT have even asked me if I am ok. Seriously, how are teachers supposed to remain professional with such unsympathetic and unprofessional responses from our SLT?

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Your employer has a duty to you under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. Your SLT is a disgrace and showing no leadership, senior or otherwise. I think this is a matter for your union and the police, and the thugs (they're not students) should be prosecuted. Working in a pru does not mean that you have to be a punchbag.

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Absolutely. Any school that allows its teachers to be treated like this doesn't deserve to have any, and you would have substantial recourse, I would imagine to make this a formal issue.
    Sorry to hear you've been so shabbily treated. Time to look elsewhere?
    Read more from Tom here on his blog, or
    follow him. His latest book, Teacher, is out this month, published by Continuum/ Bloomsbury

4. I am sorry to hear that you feel so unsupported by your SLT.
    My advice, given the above:
    Ask for the number of OH and a referral as a result of the incident - you may need support and the lack of it being offered may mean the gravity of the situationhas not been recognised (else the SLT are themselves fearful!)
    Ask to be referred for the free counselling sessions that most LEAsoffer to their employees - usually 6-8 sessions, situations like yours often have more of lasting impact than many realise.
    Ask for a new risk assessment of the individuals concerned and your teaching of them.
    Ask for a copy of the behaviour policy and go thorugh it to ensure that the SLT have followed the policy with regards the treatment of the students after the incident.
    Consider contacting the police yourself - some PRUs are very good at pursuing criminal charges others do nto wish to do so...
    Speak to the union and ask for their advice.

Whatever you do, do not be silent and feel alone.

5. Thanks for your support. Sometimes it does feel like it's an over reaction, but to be honest I am waiting to see what they do next. I do feel that I want to prosecute but will do it throu the school when I go back.Feels so sore...I can't drive due to the injury so not able to get to work anyway. ot impressed that still had no email or anything to check I'm ok....oh well, plenty more jobs out there!

6. Good advice Miss Pious. Thank you

7. casper

casper New commenter

Attempted assault and I feel the same way no concern as to asking how I was. One day out and then he made a complaint about me. He threatened another teacher and got a fixed term exclusion. Pupils have said to me I should contact the police as he has other very violent crimes on record.Would you go to the police?

8. I am seriously thinking of informing police as damaged tendons in my arm so I can't use right hand! I expect at least for school PCSO to be contacted and come in to,speak to the kids involved. However...still no word from SLT. I am about to phone to let them know I cannot get into work so will be working from home this week.

9. roverlei

roverlei New commenter

There's absolutely no way anyone should have to put up with that. If you can, leave. If you can't, make as much noise as possible. Best of luck.

10. chriszwinter1

No it certainly is not.
    Please do it.
    This really is a matter for the police. There are no two ways about it.
    Yes.

11. Sorry to hear about that. All assaults should be police matters in schools, no matter what. I cannot tolerate students who get away with violence because of (1) lazy management (2) unsympathetic management - you can bet if it happened to them, then it would be taken very differently and would be no 'laughing matter' (3) pathetic excuses for violence such as 'they come from difficult backgrounds' - so what, there is never an excuse for violence and we need to teach people that there are consequences for their actions. The attitude of the SLT is appalling and should be reported to the highest level; they deserve to be severely disciplined and have no place in education with that kind of attitude; if you tolerate violence, all you get is more violence. You are providing a valuable service and should not have to live in fear or pain.

12. chriszwinter1

[​IMG]
    Do you mean the thugs committing the assaults or the lazy, unsympathetic management, or both?

13. Siegen81to82: for that sentence you quote I meant the SLT; they are failing to provide a safe environment and their attitude is effectively condoning violence on their staff. It is outrageous and they should be referred to the Education Authority, with a demand that those responsible are reprimanded effectively and the situation changed immediately. I would also contact my legal rep over the situation. Regarding the students responsible, I already said that all assaults should be dealt with by police, no matter how minor. I have a zero-tolerance approach to any kind of abuse towards teachers or students. I believe that all violence should lead to the police involvement and charges being pressed against the individuals; teachers should not allow any possible reluctance on either the school or the police to deter them from pushing for action. Finally, i also believe that all assaults should lead automatic permanent exclusion, and i couldn't care less what the circumstances are; there is never an excuse for violence in schools and many schools need to stop creating the conditions for it to flourish by taking a zero-tolerance approach to it... and on all poor behaviour (including low-level), in general actually.

14. thanks for all your support guys. I have now gone to the police who were excellent...very supportive and I feel a lot better now I have done that. I have also contacted my union who have been brilliant. I am still in pain and cannot use my hand well so will not be returning to work. Still not much support from SLT...I have been told I need more training as I have been injured twice, but no mention of looking at behaviour of students or tracking how many injuries there have been to staff this year due to student s barging and being dangerous! Looks like I will be blamed for not reacting correctly or not removing myself from the situation! Rest assured I will not let this drop. There are too many incidents like this occurring and not being dealt with and by allowing kids to 'get away' with this dangerous behaviour what are we actually teaching them???
    I want to look for another job but have been told quite a few times by HT that it is very difficult to get back into mainstream after being out for so long. been in the pru for 5 yrs...and thoughts on that?

15. thanks for all your support guys. I have now gone to the police who were excellent...very supportive and I feel a lot better now I have done that. I have also contacted my union who have been brilliant. I am still in pain and cannot use my hand well so will not be returning to work. Still not much support from SLT...I have been told I need more training as I have been injured twice, but no mention of looking at behaviour of students or tracking how many injuries there have been to staff this year due to student s barging and being dangerous! Looks like I will be blamed for not reacting correctly or not removing myself from the situation! Rest assured I will not let this drop. There are too many incidents like this occurring and not being dealt with and by allowing kids to 'get away' with this dangerous behaviour what are we actually teaching them???
    I want to look for another job but have been told quite a few times by HT that it is very difficult to get back into mainstream after being out for so long. been in the pru for 5 yrs...and thoughts on that?

16. chriszwinter1

[​IMG] I'm glad I read it correctly, for I agree with every word you have written. This should be standard practice in every workplace.

17. chriszwinter1

Brilliant. Good for you.
    I hope you get better soon.
    You're not going to get any support from that bunch of inadequate, clueless, buck-passing cowards. They're the real problem, for they let it happen. I'm with mad_hatter all the way on what should happen to SLTs like that.
    As for your HT, I think he/she is a witless buffoon and the advice you have been given is worthless.

18. feather

feather New commenter

Hello I was assaulted in 2005 and it doesn't go away. Just finished a law degree as a result of the failure of support. My advice is this apply for Criminal Injuries compensation. To do this you must report your assault to the police. It is the only meaningful way to make those in offices to sit up and take notice. Go through Thompsons solicitors they have experience in these matters. They are union solicitors. Where there is a clear lack of parental input inform social services of this yourself, you are taxpayers you can. Write a letter to your local newspaper detailing your experience in a school name the area. Other parents have a right to know. Write to Ofsted tell them your experience, it helps them to know where to look. Schools, that is the Head, must be stopped from giving the marketing spin that all is well. The one in the school where I was blamed everyone but himself.
    Personally I informed the Health and Safety Executive, Chief Constable, local police near the school, police near where I live, Ofsted. I worked through Thompsons to achieve CICA comp its a token but everything then gets recorded doesn't it.
    The school was closed after two bad OFSTED's the nasty head went.
    Finally get out and get a life. You deserve it.