1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Violence Towards Teachers in Schools

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by feather, Jul 12, 2013.

1. feather

feather New commenter

Hello I have just fought a case through to the CICA and won. There has to be a principle violence shown towards teachers just because they are doing their jobs is unacceptable. In a hospital patients are told via clear notices that threats, intimidation and violence towards members of staff is unacceptable. Why is this not also made clear in schools using clear notices at entrances in a school.

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Violence towards staff certainly is never acceptable, and I know some schools that do display signs to that effect, and many more that say something on their websites or in the student planners.

I suppose that for many schools, the issue of putting such a sign at the front door is a cost/ benefit analysis of doing so. On one hand, it raises awareness of what is unacceptable, but on the other it draws attention to it in a potentially disproportionate way, similar to the 'pickpockets operate in this bar' signs you see- they might help keep you safe, but your first thought is, 'This place is a bit rough'.

Anyway, well done for winning your case.

Tom

Read more from Tom on his blog. His latest book, Teacher Proof is out now, by Routledge.