1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Violence in school

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by CHOPPER30, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Dear Tom
    I teach in a Year 2/3 class in a mainstream school. I have a very difficult class, that has been made worse by 2 extremely violent pupils. I am scratched, punched, bitten, kicked and sworn at every day by these pupils. I feel like I am slowly losing my mind. I can't teach properly because I have to spend all my time dealing with these children that also lash out at the other children in my class.
    I feel totally powerless in this situation. I have tried every positive behaviour strategy I can think of and set up a Nurture group to try and support them. The parents won't accept there is a problem in one case and last week I was punched in the face twice.
    Please help.

2. Dear Tom
    I teach in a Year 2/3 class in a mainstream school. I have a very difficult class, that has been made worse by 2 extremely violent pupils. I am scratched, punched, bitten, kicked and sworn at every day by these pupils. I feel like I am slowly losing my mind. I can't teach properly because I have to spend all my time dealing with these children that also lash out at the other children in my class.
    I feel totally powerless in this situation. I have tried every positive behaviour strategy I can think of and set up a Nurture group to try and support them. The parents won't accept there is a problem in one case and last week I was punched in the face twice.
    Please help.

3. Why have they not been excluded?

4. Sounds a lot like my school so you have my sympathies -we have many children like this (approx 2 per class). As to why they're not excluded ours are repeatedly excluded temporarily but we've been told that there's no where else for them to go. We have a Nurture Group -they also attack the Nurture Group teacher.

Sadly the worst thing about it is that you can't give other children the attention they need or teach much at all.
    Have you contacted your union? I have yet to be properly hit (dodged a few blows and only caught quite light ones) but if I were then I'd contact my union for advice.

5. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Awful. You don't have to put up with this. What on Earth is the school doing? Do they know?
    These kids don't need positive rewards- they need to see that you're not taking their ****. Set boundaries, make them clear, and if the kid crosses it, set a sanction. I suggest that by this point they should have been excluded, and certainly not kept in your class. Demand from your line manager that they are given special provision somehow, because this sounds BEYOND the ability of a mainstream classroom teacher to control. If the parents aren't supportive then I suggest that we have found the root of the problem, but that is by the by.
    This isn't a problem that can solved by exclusively nurturing them. They're actually dreadfully, and need to see that such behaviour has consequences they won't like. Which is exactly how life is like. Why create an artificial environment where such behaviour is rewarded by sympathy? That will never deter them.
    Hitting a teacher gets an exclusion in my book. Plus, you don;t deserve top be punched or hit; the school has a duty of care over you as well, so expect them to provide it. Or get your union to speak to the Head.
    Good luck
    <em style="color:#1f1f1f;line-height:16px;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:#e5f4fb;">Read more from Tom here on his blog, or follow him. His latest book,Teacher, is out now, published by Continuum/ Bloomsbury[/i]