1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Violence and Swaring in the EYFS

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by emilyelizabethstarkey, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I am an NQT and in January will have my first ever class of my own. I am so excited but there is one worry that I have....
    My worry comes in the form of a child, a child who, when visiting the school, drove the TA to tears. I am yet to learn more about this child but from what I am aware he has 'good and bad days', no kind of support in school, a mother who passes the blame, and a lot of anger.
    I have no experience in dealing with violent children and so would like to go in, in January, with a clear plan of action in my mind. I think at the moment when he is violent his mother is called to come for him but i am unsure how the current teacher deals with his disruptive behaviour and swearing. He does seem to have friends and get along with the other children and enjoy himself at school but then, most days, something will happen and he will kick off.
    I fear for the safety of the class and my TA and the child himself. I hope to chat to the EYFS leader and maybe the Head about him some more before I start as I feel it is only a matter of time before he will seriously injure himself or someone else.
    I'm not really sure though, what to expect from the school. It seems to me like he needs some kind of behavioural expert but then why has this not been done already? Where do I stand? Do I have the right to demand more support than is currently available?
    Any help would be much appreciated!

2. I am an NQT and in January will have my first ever class of my own. I am so excited but there is one worry that I have....
    My worry comes in the form of a child, a child who, when visiting the school, drove the TA to tears. I am yet to learn more about this child but from what I am aware he has 'good and bad days', no kind of support in school, a mother who passes the blame, and a lot of anger.
    I have no experience in dealing with violent children and so would like to go in, in January, with a clear plan of action in my mind. I think at the moment when he is violent his mother is called to come for him but i am unsure how the current teacher deals with his disruptive behaviour and swearing. He does seem to have friends and get along with the other children and enjoy himself at school but then, most days, something will happen and he will kick off.
    I fear for the safety of the class and my TA and the child himself. I hope to chat to the EYFS leader and maybe the Head about him some more before I start as I feel it is only a matter of time before he will seriously injure himself or someone else.
    I'm not really sure though, what to expect from the school. It seems to me like he needs some kind of behavioural expert but then why has this not been done already? Where do I stand? Do I have the right to demand more support than is currently available?
    Any help would be much appreciated!

3. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I assume you are going to be in a reception class? In which case the school may currently be gathering evidence, observing behaviour etc in order to work out the best way to proceed... The child could settle down as time goes on - starting school can be very unsettling for some children!
    Things you can do:
    • Try and talk to someone from the child's pre-school/nursery to find out whether this is new or continued behaviour. Did they have any particularly effective techniques?
    • Check whether the child has an IEP - if not, ask for one! Just seeing something written down can help you to feel more confident about dealing with this behaviour.
    • Create some kind of 'calm corner' where the child can go/be taken when behaving inappropriately. If this can be sheltered from view from the rest of the class it may help, as many behavioural issues have an aspect of showing off for friends.
    • Find out the child's interests - it may be that boredom is driving him to this behaviour! If you have an outdoor area with enough space encourage him to go outside and use up some energy (you never know, it might make a difference!)
    • Plan a series of PSED/circle time type activities for the whole class and talk about feelings, personal differences etc. If this is not new behaviour then he might not have experienced having friends before, so you could try to organise a buddy system for him, with a TA or you working with them to do co-operative games that involve turn taking or sharing.
    • If all else fails - go to the head and demand more support - you are an NQT and nobody expects you to be amazing at everything. It sounds like even experienced teachers would have issues with this child so don't be afraid to ask for help.
    Sorry if I've told you things you already know... I find that sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else just to clarify your thoughts.
    Good luck x