1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

violence against staff form

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by heldon, Nov 26, 2015.

  1. heldon

    heldon Occasional commenter

    can someone remind me if this is a national form for all local authorities, what the purpose of the form is and what follow on action should be expected as a result of completing the form? Also what constitutes "violence"?
  2. bigjimmy2

    bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

    A pupil standing too close to you can be viewed as aggressive or threatening. Same for shouting.
    Violence could be knocking a chair over, slamming a door etc.

    I think I know the form you're referring to. It goes to your council HQ and I think you get a reference number emailed to you. This was introduced because many schools were brushing things under the carpet. Then the school deals with the situation.
    I had no indication that an incident of mine was closed recently so I can only guess at how the situation was formally closed, if ever.

    Hope this helps.
  3. partickz

    partickz New commenter

    Our previous HT had a zero tolerance to pretty much anything. Everything and anything was classed as aggressive in his book and he would suspend swearers, door slammers, posturers etc
    With our new HT, I think they would have to get 18months for GBH before it would be worthy of a violent incident.
  4. inthered

    inthered Occasional commenter

    Union should be able to point you in the direction of the Violent Incident form. Ours is for swearing and upwards. Allegedly it goes to the region and you're supposed to get feedback from the HT but recently that's been ignored at our place. I always make a photocopy though, just in case.
  5. josephsaint

    josephsaint New commenter

    If you feel threatened, abused or physically intimidated by a pupil ask for one and chase up its progress. Council are notified and should respond. You decide. Don't let SMT put you off.
  6. bigjimmy2

    bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

    I remember a pupil being hauled away by the polis a few years ago.
    The polis let it be known that the pupil soiled himself in the back of the car.
    I wonder if they did that deliberately?

Share This Page