1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Village School vs Private Education

Discussion in 'Primary' started by umse, Jun 20, 2018.

1. umse

umse New commenter

I'm the Deputy in a small village school, we currently have about 100 children on role, we do need more to break even. Unfortunately, numbers for next year are dropping fast and we have many families and children leaving to go to the various private schools in the area. Our school is in an affluent area and so money is no problem for many of our families. So we all know how difficult it is to compete with small class sizes etc compared to state schools.
    I would just like some opinions on things we could do to try and entice more children to our school. Myself, the head and governors have put our heads together but we feel like we have exhausted everything!
    Any thoughts would be appreciated or if anyone has been in a similar situation I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Good luck, it's hard to imagine what you offer that the private schools don't, other than a free education.

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Have you investigated whether you have any home-schooled children in your area? I had a conversation in a local village school recently that sound like they are in a similar situation. They have invited these parents to visit to discuss what the school could offer. They are going down the route of offering flexible schooling.

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Lovely home woven arty things. Cooking, animals, visits to local places of historical interest.
    Celebrating everything organic and home-grown and ethnically pleasing. Willow and herbs and beans and mud.

5. StarbucksCovfefe

StarbucksCovfefe Occasional commenter

Ask the parents to 'donate' 50% of what they would have paid to the private school and do something really awesome with the spare cash?

6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

If it's anything like around here all village schools are suffering with dropping roll. This is, in my opinion, mostly down to the house prices. The lovely villages around here are populated by an "older" generation who do not have young children and when houses come up on the market they are so expensive that most families cannot afford to buy them so there aren't the younger children living in these areas. I know this doesn't help you but just my observations!

If you want to offer what the private school does then look at what it is they offer. Is it their sporting provision which gets parents to go there, their music lessons etc? Also be careful as I worked somewhere in a very affluent area where parents treated us as a private school and it was a nightmare!

7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I am head of a small village school and we seem to be bucking the trend that you are talking about. We have excellent results, lots of extra curricular activities (mainly sport) and a long standing staff. I have to turn families away.

I do think it depends where you are based.