1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vikings!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wookster, Dec 29, 2019.

1. wookster

wookster New commenter

Has anyone got any Vikings planning for KS1 for DT, Science and History please or can point me in the direction of some good online stuff for this topic.

Everything I look at online is related to KS2 !

Thanks

Wookster

2. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

I'm afraid I last taught Vikings to year 6 so I can't really help. However I did observe a group of Reception children independently, off their own bat, making shields, so maybe that could be a good DT type activity.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I found a few things, not really planning, when I googled vikings as a topic ks1, also vikings ks1.
    Have you looked at the resources section on here?

4. richardmthompson1

richardmthompson1 New commenter

If you're still struggling and can give me some idea of what you need I might be able to create something for you and upload it.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why are you doing Vikings in KS1?
    It's an odd choice.

Bolter likes this.
  6. sirenne

sirenne New commenter

If you do decide to make shields or similar, can I just point out that this would be an art/craft activity rather than DT. For DT, you need to innovate.

7. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

Well I would rather my children (own) did an art or craft activity that enhanced their enjoyment of a topic than did not do it because it didn’t fit into the school's DT remit.

8. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

"innovate
    /ˈɪnəveɪt/

verb
    1. Make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products."
    Oxford dictionary via Google

Well to the best of my knowledge the Vikings didn't have cardboard boxes, so yay innovation ;)

Anyway surely you don't have to innovate all the time ... e.g. in food tech when you use an established recipe first and then change or add ingredients to create different varieties. In electronics we used to spend lesson time making up simple circuits to understand how different components work or to practise soldering or whatever before we were let loose on our independent GCSE projects. After all surely you need a level of skills/knowledge before you can innovate successfully. In fact thinking about it, it was only cosmetic details we could choose to change in pretty much all of DT at KS3 e.g. choosing what shape biscuit cutter we made which is a very limited form of innovation, if indeed it counts as innovation at all.

9. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

Vikings is on the ks2 nc statutory programme of study so not sure why you are doing it in ks1. Ks1 is all about significant individuak of history and understanding past and present,with ks2 being more about choronological understanding of periods of history. (sorry if I sound pompous but have spent several weeks sorting provision at my school as history co- ordinator). If you study vikings in ks1 you run the risk of children repeating learning later on in ks2.