1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VIKINGS OR SAXONS??

Discussion in 'History' started by freshfield, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Will be teaching a mixed Y3/4 class next year. Which of the above would be most suited to this age group? Am also thinking about resources, artefactsand a trip. I am in Warwickshire. Would be interested to hear any views from previously taught topics to guide my decision. THANK YOU

2. I would recommend teaching them both! Perhaps as an Invaders and Settlers topic - you cant really teach one without the other if you are teaching Vikings/Saxons and their relevance to British history. The Vikings invaded, then the Saxons were drafted in to get rid of them. The Saxons got such a good deal out of it that they installed their own kings and ended up settling here.
    When I taught Saxons and Vikings to Year 2, I found that 'Our Island Story' by H.E. Marshall was a really excellent book. Not only did I feel better informed, but the kids loved listening to some of the stories.
    There are also lots and lots of great website, including BBC schools, Espresso and woodlands-junior.
    I can try to find an old plan if you like. I loved this topic, sure you will too!

3. hobgoblintc

hobgoblintc New commenter

We do a play all about the Vikings if you decide to go with them. Have a look at our website - www.hobgoblintheatrecompany.co.uk - we do all sorts of stuff.
    Drop us an email or give us a ring if anything takes your fancy!
    Regards
    Dan