1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VIKINGS OR SAXONS??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by freshfield, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Will be teaching a mixed Y3/4 class next year. Which of the above would be most suited to this age group? Am also thinking about resources, artefactsand a trip. I am in Warwickshire. Would be interested to hear any views from previously taught topics to guide my decision. THANK YOU

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What do other year groups teach in your school?

In terms of invaders and settlers Vikings would work better, but Saxons gives you the chance to really study ancient British history.

I would talk to the rest of your school and see which fits in best with them.

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

If it's the Saxons, you might be interested in:
    http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2011/07/01/chance-for-hordes-to-see-staffordshire-hoard/

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you're wanting to make it local Saxons would be better, it was part of Mercia and I believe there was a Burgh previous to Warwick Castle.
    Sutton Hoo website is good for info too, though slightly too far to travel.

5. Thank you for your comments. Due to mixed classes I have been given the choice of topics that have so far not been covered.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

If you did Saxons you could take them on a trip to Birmingham Museum to see the Staffordshire Hoard?

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Do a survey of place names locally, and that will give you an idea of what will fit best for where you live. I lived in NYorks, so we always 'did' Vikings, but we covered the others too. (in a smaller way)

8. We used to do both as a combined topic over the course of a term. Few years ago now and I don't know why it was set up like that because it was just the topic outline I inherited that had been set at the school-level.