1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Viking dig - topic or literacy lesson?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sheeee, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Sheeee

Sheeee New commenter

Hey all,
    I have just seen a great idea on TeacherTV that I am stealing for my classes Viking work this term - the idea is to have an 'archeological dig' in the classroom, and include objects that may have been viking and objects which obviously aren't. Chn dig up and item then have to decide if it is viking or not & give reasons why - eg if it's plastic vikings didn't have this material etc.

The thing I am struggling with is whether to use this lesson as a topic lesson, and have them draw pictures of their objects and write answers to questions about it, OR to use it in my literacy swap lesson, where I have the higher ability chn from the year group for speaking and listening activities - their objective is to explain what they think, giving reasons for their opinions.

So, which do you think this lesson would work best as - topic or literacy?! Thanks!

2. Sheeee

Sheeee New commenter

Hey all,
    I have just seen a great idea on TeacherTV that I am stealing for my classes Viking work this term - the idea is to have an 'archeological dig' in the classroom, and include objects that may have been viking and objects which obviously aren't. Chn dig up and item then have to decide if it is viking or not & give reasons why - eg if it's plastic vikings didn't have this material etc.

The thing I am struggling with is whether to use this lesson as a topic lesson, and have them draw pictures of their objects and write answers to questions about it, OR to use it in my literacy swap lesson, where I have the higher ability chn from the year group for speaking and listening activities - their objective is to explain what they think, giving reasons for their opinions.

So, which do you think this lesson would work best as - topic or literacy?! Thanks!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Obviously would fit into both. Knowledge/ discovery does not fit neatly into 'boxes' despite the govt. trying to convince us it does.
    Be radical, why not use it for both? Initially as a topic lesson with your class & then as an extension activity with your HAs?

4. Sheeee

Sheeee New commenter

Hmmm good Idea Lara, unfortunately though, my HA group consists of a lot of chn from my class!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's exacyly my point! It would be a follow-o, extension activity for the HA who've already done the 'dig'. You could try them interviewing each other about their finds, writing reports about their finds for a museum, hot-seating for a news report etc.