1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vigilante groups

Discussion in 'Personal' started by caress, Sep 18, 2018.

1. caress

caress Occasional commenter

What's everyone's take on the upsurge of self-styled paedophile hunting groups? There seem to be more and more springing up every day. A hindrance to law enforcement or a necessary evil?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No evil is necessary.

nomad, Nanook_rubs_it and caress like this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The ghost-hunting market is saturated.

caress likes this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

self righteous yobs looking for something to be self righteous about

Bedlam3, nomad, Sir_Henry and 2 others like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

"Let he that is without sin cast the first stone."

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Unfortunately the answers to your question would be classed (in Liberal circles) as illegal/criminal/barbaric IMO.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They are breaking the law and should be treated in the same way as anyone else that breaks the law.

Jesmond12, nomad and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

One out of three.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The police have many concerns about them, according to something in one of Sunday papers a couple of months ago. Sometimes because it can end up in "mete out our own justice". More often that the procedures they've used to catch the alleged paedo destroy evidence or are done in way that doesn't allow it to be used in court, so making convictions harder.

Police would prefer them to pass their evidence over to the police at a much earlier point.

10. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

There was the case of some stupid women who hunted a man down and attacked him because they thought he was a paedophile and in fact he was a paediatrician. It was a few years ago. Do you remember this anyone? It's always wise to improve your vocabulary.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

well, interesting in the case of pedophilia...... or are you referring to being judgmental like vigilantes?

12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes, I remember, in fact it was the first thing I thought of when i saw this thread.

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If people had any faith in the impartial efficiency of the judicial process, vigilante groups would not exist.
    However, I'm with dunnocks on this one.