1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Views or Replies?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Oct 8, 2015.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Is the better thread one with more views or replies? I am surprised at the disparity evident in the thread lists. Some have few replies but lots of views and others similar amounts.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd say replies... a view can be just ... 'oh someone clicked on it, got bored and wandered off'.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

In the old days when I used to check my own threads obsessively (and get faint with excitement if they were ever chosen as a Hot Topic), I reckoned that a rough average was 10 views for every reply.

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

If there were useful symbols to use that signified "face-palm" or "head-desk" you might get more replies. As it is with some posters/posts I view, think '***- life is too short to waste time saying what I really think and anyway the point would be wasted on this one' and move on. Other times I don't have anything to say so I don't.

It's a bit sad if someone measures their popularity by how many views a thread gets... I'm always amazed if any of mine are still on the top page after half an hour!

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My first thought is that a lot of replies are more of an indication of a "good" thread but maybe fewer, but better argued / more thoughtful / amusing replies also show that a thread has some sort of impact. Views have to be of secondary importance in judging which threads are "better"
    Actually, now I think about it, I hate the idea of assessing the quality / value of threads. This is play.

6. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

Given that many who read the thread may not be able to reply (visitors, bots, the pre-moderated etc) I think there is still quite a it of value in the number of views it has attracted

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It depends what floats your boat, surely. If you have a particular interest, you'll probably reply to that topic.

Depends whether it's serious, or the much maligned 'fluffy.' If you have knowledge of a query someone has posted, you'll probably give the benefit of your knowledge/expertise, or if you really disagree strongly with a point of view, you may want to give the opposite.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think there's often a tendency to view threads which were started by, or where the last poster to reply usually has something interesting or amusing to say.

In theory, it should be possible to start and conclude a debate in a single post if the quality of the argument is sound and has covered all corners, leaving nothing left for discussion.

Threads can attract lots of replies if the topic is a contentious one. Equally, threads such as the current music one can attract lots of replies purely because posters are enjoying it and all are in accordance.

I suggest therefore, that it's impossible to come to any conclusions at all about the number of views or replies a thread had, other than it may have generated some interest.

You might find this article interesting. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...-get-interesting-with-new-reactions-emoticons
    TES' new like button is so last century, it seems.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Surely the hope is that those who view do read and are challenged to think about the comments.Sometimes yo dont rely as your being nosy,sometimes there are areas and topics you dont feel able to comment upon.
    I say replies as then you know at least some one looked at it...for better or worse.

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

This is around the 8th thread i have clicked on and read today but I haven't posted on any until now as I couldn't be bothered and had nothing scintillating to say. I actually came here twice as changed my mind about posting.

monicabilongame and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I'd like to post on the music and art thread, but can't upload photos, It just says the file's too large.

12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I tend to think more replies, the more interesting and potentially engaging that thread is. Just because some threads have loads of views doesn't mean the thread is 'good' and to read boasts about how the thread must be valuable regardless of the contentious topic or the patronishing attitude of a poster.

Sometimes people seek out a thread for its 'amusement factor'...

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Or in some cases, a poster's lack of knowledge and inexpertise! (Not aimed at you, @foxtail3 !)

If you have Windows 7, you can click on a photo in its folder and open it in Windows Photo Viewer.

Than from the top menu click on Open and choose Picture Manager.
    upload_2015-10-8_21-47-7.png

Then click on Edit pictures

upload_2015-10-8_21-47-43.png

Change picture size - RH margin now

upload_2015-10-8_21-48-47.png

Then Compress Picture on RH margin menu again

upload_2015-10-8_21-49-23.png

Then you'll get a smaller version that can be loaded onto web pages.

In Windows 8 it's slightly different, but it's too late at night to get out another computer and start more screen prints. :)

Try that . . .

Best wishes

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Thank you very much &TheoGriff. I've got an iPad and it has limitations so far as these things are concerned.

I'll have to save my pennies for a laptop (but it'll be a while!)

15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

The huge disparity between views and responses should make all posters realise that they may be more likely to be 'identified' than they perhaps thought!