1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Views on the current job market?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kaisa, Apr 29, 2020.

1. kaisa

kaisa New commenter

Morning all, now we've all settled down into the new normal, what do you think secondary school recruitment is like? I'm pessimistically thinking there might be less jobs, unless you're retiring or really hate your school you probably won't be moving. Do you think that's right?

I'm returning to teaching after having kids and doing an MA, have 17 years secondary school teaching experience with a TLR point in my last post. But there are zero part-time jobs in my subject... starting get get worried for September!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There are zero full time teaching posts in primary or prep schools within 30 miles of me.

Well there are a couple in prep, but not in subjects I can teach.

It's a nightmare.

3. kaisa

kaisa New commenter

Any other experiences? Also has anyone actually got a job emailing schools with their CV? Just trying to get imaginative!

4. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

Not sure what area you are in but in my area (Hertfordshire) recruitment is carrying on like normal and there are lots of teaching jobs being advertised just interviewing online

TheoGriff likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

This is pure speculation, but I suspect that some people who would have retired in August, which is where a lot of the new jobs come from, are holding fire to see what happens. Plus people wanting to start a new career. The state sector is likely to need the same number of teachers as before, but possibly fewer in the private sector, partly because finances will be tight and (possibly) because few people from abroad will want to send their children here or will be able to afford to. So, there is a possibility that the demand for education could be down a bit.

TheoGriff likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

When you think about it . . . is a school going to think: "We need a teacher. I know! Let's give the job to that chap/chapess who sent us a CV, instead of following approved procedure, advertising, and selecting from applicants. After all, that chap/chapess might not bother to look at the TES or the LA education appointments website!"

See what I mean . . . ;)

Keep safe everyone

agathamorse, bajan and Pomza like this.
  7. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I'm primary so maybe not helpful but there are lots of jobs in my area. I'd guess it will be the same for secondary. Listen to @TheoGriff about sending your CV to schools and everything else about getting a job.

8. charlotte_m_evans

charlotte_m_evans New commenter

Is it actually better to apply through TES then? Even for jobs I've seen on TES, I've usually ended up sending the application direct to the school. Interested because a job I'm thinking of applying for now states applications only through TES. Just wondered why?

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Only 142 secondary posts advertised in Kent at the moment.

Pomza likes this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think the point was that schools are going to advertise on TES or their LA website if they want to recruit, so there is no point in sending a CV in. Most teaching jobs have an application form and may not even want a CV. That doesn't mean that you have to apply though TES if the advert does not say you do. Although if it were an option, I think I would. Another point is that adverts often have a load of stuff about the job and the person which a well constructed application will reference. It might be total BS, but it is a hoop worth jumping through if you want the job.

agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

Where are these areas with lots of vacancies?!
    Where I am there are precisely none that are even remotely suitable within a 30 mile radius (TES) or in my LA.

Head of Classics - ind
    Head of Music - ind
    SENDCO -state
    Headteacher - state
    Year 5 teacher: NQTs preferred - state

Sum total of full time permanent teaching jobs currently advertised from both LA site and TES.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The way to apply is the way that the school wants you to apply.

If they say only via TES, then that's the way to go. It may make things more easily organised for them, and so that's why they chose it. But whatever their reason, if they say via TES, then via TES it is!

If they give you their own contact details (even if the advert is on TES), then apply directly.

Good luck

agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  13. MrWarwick2007

MrWarwick2007 New commenter

Almost all jobs I have applied for/seen advertised make it crystal clear they don't want CV's even when you've applied through the correct means...

14. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

There are a number of schools now not advertising on TES, but instead using County Council jobs websites, their MAT website, or even just their own school website. I think this is pretty unhelpful to potential applicants, but I guess it's about saving money. So there may be a few more vacancies than those that appear on tes.
    I did get some results from contacting schools directly when I was looking for a limited amount of work, that a school might not have advertised for. But agree for a normal position they would generally advertise and not welcome a CV.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

I've always used Eteach

16. kaisa

kaisa New commenter

Does anyone have any insights as to the current job market? I know it’s June - so not the best time to be looking - but seems to be a few maternity leave jobs and not that much else. Do you think there will be more movement next year? Hopefully?!

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Christmas will be the new Easter this year.

I'm guessing that many teachers will have been thinking about resigning over the lock down period and they will resign at the start of September - I would expect the job market to be very busy next year.

Pomza and drvs like this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

Very hopefully.

drvs likes this.