1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Views on primary accademies

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nopeas4methanx, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hi Everybody,
    We have just been informed that our school is at the top of the list to become an accademy. We were advised that if ofsted arrive we will be put into 'a category' and a forced decision to become an accademy will be made.
    Obviously staff are very upset and anxious. We have a meeting in the next few days to present any questions we may have to county representatives. All relevant unions have been contacted and requested to send in a rep to help support us.
    What we would like to know is:
    What are the pros and cons of becoming an academy?
    What happens if a sponsor withdraws their funding?
    The Governing Body have assured us there will be no job losses, how can they know this?
    Are there any Primary School staff that work in an accademy, who would be prepared to share their experience of the transition with us?
    Thank you

2. Academy not accademy, too stressed, sorry.

3. A sponsor doesnt have to provide any funding. They are there to help with the strategic management.

An academy gets more money than a community school, so no reason to expect any job losses.

An academy has more freedoms than a community school. It's up to the school, the staff and the SLT whether they use that to their advantage or not. For example an academy doesn't have to follow the NC.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Academies are not tied to the workplace agreement and so have no obligation to adhere to it. They can set their own levels of pay, ppa and job descriptions. I left an academy after a year but that is not to say all experiences will be bad. It puts a lot of power into the hands of a small number of people and so what the academy becomes will entirely depend on what those people do with that power. The school I was at removed ppa, scale pay rises became linked to the levels of the children in the class and the curriculum became entirely writing based, with writing objectives in most other subjects. It was an uninspiring, joyless place to be for many and this was reflected in the number of leavers since transition in Sept 10.

5. FAIRYDELL

FAIRYDELL New commenter

We have also been notified that we are likely to become an academy. The Governing Body have known for quite a few weeks and yet held on to that information until yeasterday. We have until the end of term to make a decision.
    The Chair of Governors, stated that at the moment we do have a choice, however, if we decide not to vote in favour of becoming an academy, we will have less choice regarding sponsors, Ofsted will be requested to 'visit' and we will fail, pushing us into a forced academy.
    How can we be expected to make informed decisions in less than four weeks?
    Having started to research the issue I'm wondering what happens to 'expensive' children. Will those with SEN still matter, or will the external support they currently receive be deemed too expensive? The same goes for EAL children, will their extra help be cost effective?
    Teachers with many, valuable years experience are expensive, will they be considered worth the expense?
    Would mr gove (he doesn't warrant capitals) like to remove statistics from schools in deprived areas, where the starting point for assessment is way behind those in affluent, middle class areas?
    Shall we move towards a perfect state, where only children capable of attaining a level 4 or 5 at the end of KS2, will be allowed in certain schools?
    Who is prepared to champion the less able, the SEN, EAL, EBD...?

6. Fairy - you will have the same children, with the same amount of needs, but you will have more money, and less support from the LEA.

Statements will still be paid for by the LEA.

If you currently get support from the LEA with SEN, EAL or EBD or whatever, you will now need to use the extra money to get that support - either from the LEA, or from someone else.

So if the service your LEA provides isn't very good you can go elsewhere.

But the long and the short of it is that the school will have more money, and will have to use it to buy more things than they used to.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Primary academies rarely end up with more money unless they are huge. I did the maths for my own school. By the time we had paid for the services which the LA provides for a nominal sum we would have been worse off and would have to make redundancies or pay cuts.
    Make no mistake about it, the whole process is about privatising and fragmenting state education. Op contact your union and have a look at the anti academies website. Communicate your worries to parents, governors, your mp and the local community. Be proactive, fight it with all your might because not one single teacher I know who has been through the transformation has anything positive to say about it to me.

8. Same situation. Just been told that we might be turned into academy. The only difference is: we were told only the Governing Body and the Secretary of State will make the decision. The parents and media will not be informed. We do not get a say.

9. FAIRYDELL

FAIRYDELL New commenter

We were told that too, what happened to the period of open consultaton I've read about?

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Gove's disappointed at the lack of primaries converting. That's why he's pushing this through. Interesting that they threaten schools with Ofsted, that Ofsted put these schools into categories. Head of Ofsted is Michael Wilshsw who is also director of education for Ark, one of the biggest academy chains. No vested interest there then.
    Contact your union, your mp and the anti academies alliance. They will support you if the local community opposes the conversion.

11. Same here, we're not allowed to breathe a word to anyone. I wonder if the GB would like to present themselves and the staff as a united front to the parents?
    Apparently one of the county experts coming to chat to us next week has just been made redundant from another department, hardly an expert!

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

they can't stop you talking to your union. Yet. But once you're an academy they stifle union activity.

13. My union has already advised me of this. How are school staff supposed to protect themselves against allegations, bullying, unfair treatment and a whole host of other unpleasant and potentially damaging events?

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

They're not. That's why Gove wants more academies. Drive down pay, ride roughshod over conditions and fragment the workforce and entire education system. Divide and conquer.
    There's actually no evidence that changing to academy status raises standards. There are plenty of academies in special measures.

15. pachamama

pachamama New commenter

My school is almost in a similar position. Our school has not yet been made into an academy but we are going to be having a head from an outstanding school supporting us (inspecting and telling us where we are going wrong.) Our schools couldn't be any different. Not sure what happens if our results don't improve enough.
    Our teachers are working so hard. Having at least 2 observations each half term along with numeracy and literacy obs, and Headteacher drop-ins. Work scrutiny, learning walks etc etc.
    Due to this I believe we have been spared OFSTED and a forced academy move.
    It's alright for MP's their children don't tend to go to state school. Also, I wonder as the big wigs are linked in some form or another. Someone is going to get a big pay day. I imagine not schools. (Just my opinion)
    I find the whole thing depressing, I love my job and the kids I teach. I wonder if Gove would like to spend a week in our shoes and listen to our fears and worries.
    Maybe I should invest in a lottery ticket??[​IMG]

16. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Some MPs send their children to state schools.I taught my local MPs children. I was at school with a very well known MPs daughter. Had he sent his children to private school the press would have crucified him! I think it depends on your mp!

17. Thank you all for your replies. I've spent the whole weekend researching academies, but still feel wary and confused. I acknowledge that change can be good, but have a feeling of dread about the future of the school and staff who work there.
    I think the next few months will bring a rollercoaster of emotions to a staff, already on their knees?

18. wed123

wed123 New commenter

Be very wary - read my comments bullying trustees in academies. Im a Head and its bad for me too