1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Views on OCR Level 3 as an alternative to GCE A-levels in ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by e-Luddite, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Advice from anyone teaching OCR Level 3 please - it seems quite interesting on paper - it seems to be one of the few opportunities to do group work (which is the norm for most ICT in workplaces). How does the course compare to traditional AS-A2 ICT? First hand experience particularly valued . Thanks

2. Advice from anyone teaching OCR Level 3 please - it seems quite interesting on paper - it seems to be one of the few opportunities to do group work (which is the norm for most ICT in workplaces). How does the course compare to traditional AS-A2 ICT? First hand experience particularly valued . Thanks

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

We looked at it and decided against it for a number of reasons, the primary one being how it looks on a student's CV.
    Possibly a bit of a "bigotted" viewpoint but we're not sure about the strength of any course other than GCEs to deliver the UCAS points students are needing for university places: That said of course it depends on your intake - are the majority aiming for Unis?
    Personally I would love to be able to offer a BTEC/OCR Nationals L3 alongside GCE to cater for all needs. However if it were one or t'other - I'd go for GCE.

4. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

I belong to an Academy whose umberella organisation also covers the other secondary school in the town. As such, there has been a lot of umming and arrghing about shared courses, etc.
    This year the joint head of 6th form has decided we do the GCE and the other site does OCR L3. They wanted a hard-and-fast rule to decide whicj students were placed where. However, we've stated that it depends on the academic capacity of the pupil and how they feel most comfortable when learning. If they fall apart in exams, GCE is no good, if they like short focused tasks rather than term long projects, GCE is no good, and in both cases they should go and do OCR.
    So DEms we're luckiler than most

5. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

We're doing OCR Nationals L3. Nice variety, not really traditional ICT, not hugely well respected by universities and our own students. Not wholly regretting the course choice taken, but definitely feels less academic than GCE....

6. Which universities are not accepting OCR L3 at its UCAS points?
    I believe there are some rules/guidance about number of "soft subjects" and perhaps not oxbridge at all, that said arent A-Level ICT seen as "soft" also.

7. One consideration is that the AS counts for UCAS points. Those students who opt for ICT as the 'fourth option' therefore qualify for UCAS. I haven't got the equivalence table on me but I seem to remember that AS grade C was equivalent to a full pass on OCR 3.
    Those doing the OCR course would have to complete the course to qualify for UCAS points. If they dropped out early they would be awarded the OCR units that they had completed, but no UCAS points