1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Views of Teaching Assistants needed!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by emmagood, Jul 4, 2018.

1. emmagood

emmagood New commenter

Hi All, I'm a KS2 teacher currently doing a Masters Dissertation looking at the origins of educational achievement in terms of relative influence of genes v environment. I'd really like to see if and how TA views may differ from that of other teaching staff. If you have a spare 10 minutes and wouldn't mind contributing to the research, please click on the link below- it's anonymous and much more interesting than it sounds! Thanks!
    https://york.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bCbtiEN0xS43bAF

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Done! Very interesting questions. :)

4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Done.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Done - good luck

pepper5 likes this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Poor survey:
    • No control for respondents' understanding of genetics or psychology.
    • Confusion of 'achievement' with 'talent', &c.
    • Inconsistent column headings.

celago22 likes this.
  7. MissMinton

MissMinton New commenter

Thanks, Vince, I'm sure OP cares a lot about your feedback since they obviously haven't got a supervisor or any guidance from their university to help them. You've single-handedly saved their thesis. Bravo. Whatever would TES do without you.

:rolleyes:

8. Vince_Ulam

Well, Victoria, without my presence and that of other teachers qualified & experienced to speak in particular on issues of research and classroom management then I expect my friends here would have to tolerate uninterrupted preaching from non-QTS, bleeding-heart, ill-mannered busybodies.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  9. MissMinton

MissMinton New commenter

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Emma. Good luck with your Master's!

10. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

1. Not required.
    2. No there isn't
    3. Don't care.

This is a qualitative assessment, not quantitative. If you wish to nit pick then at least get your methodology right before doing so.

The survey description is clear, it is about views of respondents, not actual knowledge. Therefore such a control is not required, why control for a variable which is not being measured? Your suggestion is insane. The aim is not to measure knowledge but views, I have an MA and two further post grads in SEN, assessment and diagnostics, and didn't know what answer to give on a lot of the questions.

Even then, there is an element of control in that respondents are asked to identify what level they work at in education, which means some comparisons will be available. No other control is required, because OP won't care if there is a statistically significant difference to a control group, it is simply not the aim of such a project.

I used to support many MA students design their research. Personally this may be the best survey I have seen in years. Simple answer structure makes collating results effective, consistent answer options for respondents avoid confusion, questions are precise rather than vague which will create useful and interesting comparisons between respondent groups.

This is clearly not designed to be 'the' answer to anything, however I expect that it could represent an excellent trial which (if the OP wished) could lead to an interesting PhD.

Good luck OP, it was refreshing to see a questionnaire which didn't make me want to tear my eyes out!

MissMinton likes this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

Required if this survey was to be any more significant than it would be were it of random people on the street.

Yes there is, Question 12: 'School achievement is an inherited talent'. Many other language problems with this survey but this speaks particularly to the surveyor's own lack of expertise.

Odd that you mentioned it, then.

My post does not speak to this. Read the post if you are going to nit-pick.

You must have seen some appalling surveys from the students you taught to conduct surveys.

Overall, great response, thanks, I am sure that the naive are extremely impressed.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  12. MissMinton

MissMinton New commenter

Dude. Quit hijacking the thread. You are not this person's supervisor and they did not ask for any input on the value of the survey, they asked for responses to it. Literally none of this is about you or your ego.

By the way, I've responded, Emma. [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] Good luck again! Let us know how it goes. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2018
  13. Vince_Ulam

I am not your 'dude', Victoria, and this is a public forum.

Incidentally, Emma has not visited the TES Community since the beginning of July, the opening post is her only message. She dropped her survey and did not look back, as is frequently the case.

14. MissMinton

MissMinton New commenter

How dare they use a public teachers' forum to seek responses to their survey and then fail to get embroiled in the political/social nonsense and squabbles that characterise a significant proportion of the other major forums.

Okay, you're not my dude. Incidentally, my name isn't Victoria either--it isn't what I go by anymore. I'm not sure where you can see that on my profile in any case, since near as I can tell I go by MissMinton here, and I'm not comfortable with you using any name for me in that overfamiliar fashion.

The irony of you calling me an "ill-mannered busybody" for calling you out when you rudely offered unsolicited criticism of a colleague's work has me simply howling with laughter.

It's also very telling about your character and worldview that the first insult you could think to throw at me was "non-QTS". As a matter of fact, I have three degrees (BA 1st class, MA, PGDipEd with QTS) and taught English for three years before switching to a TA role. I'm pretty good at what I do--so good, in fact, that I don't need to go on public forums and put other people down and stir up trouble to feel important. When I come here, it's to offer advice and encouragement where I can, and stay silent where I can't. How about you?

Flanks likes this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

No. People frequently drop surveys on these fora with no more thought than they would flush the toilet.

You have signed off as Victoria in previous posts. It is fair to address you by that name.

I have not called you by any such name.

Yes, of course.

Whatever I want.

16. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

OP do you want the survey fill in by TAs, is it their views you are looking for? So should it only be filled in by TAs. Have you done a different one for teachers?

17. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

The survey asks you to identify your role at the start, ta, teacher or SLT.

18. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter