1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Views from ASTs please

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by leadlearner, Feb 24, 2011.

1. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

Hi, I am interested in how Advanced Skills Teachers are finding their roles in school. What you enjoy about it and any frustrations? Does it cause you problems if you want to move schools or change direction? How does your school see your role are you given a clear steer or do you plan your own approach? Any thoughts on this appreciated, from ASTs and those who work with them. Would you advise it as a good career move (I understand the assessment procedure) but am interested in the reality of AST life in schools. Thanks in advance, [​IMG]

2. leadlearner

Hi, I am interested in how Advanced Skills Teachers are finding their roles in school. What you enjoy about it and any frustrations? Does it cause you problems if you want to move schools or change direction? How does your school see your role are you given a clear steer or do you plan your own approach? Any thoughts on this appreciated, from ASTs and those who work with them. Would you advise it as a good career move (I understand the assessment procedure) but am interested in the reality of AST life in schools. Thanks in advance, [​IMG]

3. I have been an AST for 3 years, enjoy the variety of the role, including working with failing teachers, preparing resources, training ITT/NQT, delivering INSET, supporting staff in new roles, teaching classes in other schools and sharing best practice. The only frustration is staff within my own school seeing it as my 'day off' when actually I often have an increased workload as do not use my 20% time to plan any of the above. It is hard work but I love it.

In terms of changing direction/career routes, for me it was a significant pay rise and vast experience very quickly, the early days are a bit of a blur now! I am looking to move schools/areas in the not too distant future and wonder what kind of roles I can apply for as AST jobs are not advertised very often and are being re-named/replaced by a new title, therefore the future is uncertain. If anything I think the role has opened doors for me, and I have been offered many other roles in the time I have been an AST. It also would depend on whether you were a school based AST or an LA AST as the roles would vary.

4. ASTs seem to be heading towards 'Director of Learning' posts in the job ads I've been looking at...

5. leadlearner

Grateful thanks you two for these posts, [​IMG]

6. I wouldn't do it in the current climate.

7. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

I do now but wouldn't go in to it now (unless you are happy for it to stop fairly soon). I'm guessing that the funding will stop soon - ours is only guaranteed for another year and then who knows what. It all depends what sort of contract you have as an AST...