1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Viewing a new school during work time

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well you are employed contractually by your present school and it's not unreasonable of them to expect you to be working there, not visiting another school. You could ask to visit during your non-contact time certainly and should you get an interview you would be allowed time off to attend.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You can request all you like, but the head does not have to allow you any time - not even if it's non-contact or PPA - during the school day.
    If you ask, I'd suggest you request it during non-contact/PPA time, since to ask for it during teaching time is almost certain to result in refusal.

3. supp

supp New commenter

It may depend on the reason that you are leaving. If you have to look for another job due to the ending of a fixed term contract, you might be more likely to be allowed to go. It depends on the individual headteacher. - Some will and some won't. It also depends on how many schools you wish to look at. Asking to go in your PPA time or ring the school and see if you can go another time (after school)

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Grr, I hate this visiting schools malarky that seems to be all the rage now, I think it is so unfair and unprofessional of Heads who encourage it as well.
    Last winter I visited two schools who were advertising for a HOD position and indicated that visits were welcome - both an hour from where I lived and so I had to just drive off as soon as school finished, be shown around and then drive back, with the result I was home at 7 o clock. One head moaned all the way round that it was a shame I couldn't come during school hours - er, I'm teaching, you silly man!
    Mind you that latter school have now advertised 3 times for the same position so I suspect they may be a tad fussy!