1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

View from a Bridge

Discussion in 'English' started by charishunn, Oct 21, 2011.

1. We watch the section from The Godfather (maybe Part II, I can't remember) where Michael Corleone returns to Sicily in hiding and falls in love. Students get excited about the Mafia connection and we slowly steer them away from it by working out all the aspects of Sicilian culture they learn from the clip e.g. family is important, young couples aren't allowed to be alone together, respecting your elders. We do then look at '10 mafia commandments' to get them to understand the idea of omerta. Usually gets them mildly interested!

2. I do the Mafia thing as well. Look at the 5 Mafia families in New York, Carlo Gambino (supposedly one of the Mafioso Vito Coreleone was based upon) the whole idea of Omerta and the secret society.

3. A View from the Bridge is a very rewarding play to study in detail - not too long and plenty to get your teeth into. I am surprised that your Year 10's were sufficiently familiar with the play to groan and say they didn't want to study it. I have not come across a cohort who have even heard of it before 'doing' it at school. Our AS level students are currently studying it and four weeks in were taken to a performance. They all came back with their individual 'lightbulbs' turned on so perhaps you could see if anyone is performing the play at a theatre within reasonable travelling distance. Failing that, what about a bit of cross-curricular work with the Drama department to work on some extracts to perform in a kind of Work-Shop style.Get the Art Department involved too. Physically seeing Alfieri as 'The Bridge' standing in between the two cultures may help - get them to improvise once they have the general idea.
    I wonder if their aversion to the play may have come once they realised that there was no film version available. (bits of the grainy black and white film are available on youtube but most y10's are horrified watching something so archaic. You might be able to select some bits to watch though.

4. Two things: 1. Students will often groan and complain about having to do anything. They probably have no idea what the play is about, so I'd ignore their groans. 2. There is a BBC TV adaptation done for schools - lurches from the excruciating to the quite good in terms of performance but is accurate to the text. Don't know if it can be got hold of now.