1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vietnam

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by EDCASE, Jun 6, 2019.

1. EDCASE

EDCASE New commenter

I am visiting Vietnam this July/August, incl HCMC and various other stops up to Hanoi. Just wondering if there are any stops or visits I could potentially make get a little more information with a view to teaching here at some point in future? Areas of information, ex-pat bars, anything?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There is a website called "Trip Advisor". It recommends various restaurants, bars and hotels.

3monkey likes this.
  3. EDCASE

EDCASE New commenter

Yes I am aware of that site as a source for holiday research purposes, thank you.

4. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

If you're a properly qualified teacher, your best bet would be TES jobs or Search. If not, then just contact one of the many language schools.

5. EDCASE

EDCASE New commenter

Thanks for the reply. I am qualified, v.experienced and recently registered with search associates. I would be looking to teach my own subject/s (Chem/Physics) but contacting the language schools is something I hadn't thought of.

I was more thinking of speaking directly to people in the know, who could point me in the direction of where/where not to apply as well as the usual pros and cons and advice. I know slagging off schools is frowned upon here but obv face to face is a different matter.

I am aware there are a few expat bars, so I will probably end up walking in and simply ask 'Does anyone teach?'

Thanks again.

6. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

In HCMC take an afternoon out to visit district 2. That's where most reputable schools are located. Even if they are shut for the holidays (likely), you can still walk around the area and get a feel for it. We visited the supermarket to see what's on offer and after a stroll ended up drinking coffee near one of the main streets. Got chatting with various people - teachers, parents etc.. Was good to get a feel for the schools and life there.

7. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Send you CV's to all the schools in HCMC, looking at your subjects you will have a good chance for next year and often meeting face to face will really help. Ask them for a tour of the school, most schools will be closed but there might be the odd SMT around to meet you.

In HCMC look at schools in D2 or D7

8. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

As an experienced chemistry / physics teacher just apply for jobs that come up and you'll be swarmed upon. You don't really need to do any extra 'shoulder rubbing' like someone teaching a humanities subject might

yasf likes this.
  9. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Then just go through the normal channels. You should be fine.

10. EDCASE

EDCASE New commenter

Thank you all, plenty more to go at...

No replies on "Trip Advisor" as yet

11. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

They won't be it was stupid advice, who would use trip advisor to find out about international schools?

I'm in vietnam message me if you want

yasf likes this.
  12. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

I think the hippo was being sarcastic bout the op's strange approach to researching schools and possible jobs by bar hopping!!!

13. PhuMyHung

PhuMyHung New commenter

I taught ESL in HCMC in 2018 and absolutely loved it. The international schools are in the suburban areas of District 7 and District 2. I lived in D7, which has a large Korean expat community, and it is a really great place to live. There's more space than the somewhat chaotic centre and surrounding districts, and there's also plenty of bars and restaurants (the Phu My Hung area is the centre of D7). Most of the international schools in the area are very well regarded. District 2 is more of a "Western expat community" but there are many British and American teachers living and teaching in D7 too.

I left because I decided to do a PGDE back in the UK but I am planning on applying for jobs back in HCMC after my NQT year.

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yikes! He teaches Physics and Chemistry! (Bow, scrape, tug forelock and kneel as an inferior being, "Ever so 'umble, Master Copperfield!")

Well, seriously EDCASE, Search Associates are your best bet, I would say. You could also try applying directly to adverts through the TES. And what about China? It is not so very far away from Vietnam. As readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well, Mrs H. and I enjoyed our five years in China. Anyway, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things. Perhaps I could be of some help.

15. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

Experience in teaching chemistry and physics should make you very attractive to schools. Believing those schools recruit through word of mouth at expat drinking holes might, however, negate that appeal.

16. EDCASE

EDCASE New commenter

Thanks all. In no way am I looking for a job by way of a conversation in a pub. I'm on holiday and potentially looking to get a little more info than what might be available on this fine forum.

17. february31st

february31st Established commenter

A subscription to the International Schools Review will give you a good list of schools to research and maybe contact.

18. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

IB Chemistry/Maths myself. Ignore smart @ss comments about trip advisor etc from the usual suspects on here.

Just apply and, as you are chemistry/physics, you will have to beat offers away with a sh1tty stick. The same rules do not apply to the likes of us compared to your Mickey Mouse degrees/subjects.

19. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Swsimp?

Equally as offensive and arrogant if he isn’t.

lottee1000 and dumbbells66 like this.
  20. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

The same rules absolutely do apply... contrary to popular belief (sorry, not ‘popular’, just your misguided belief) you do not only need a pulse to get a job as a Maths/Science teacher in the best international schools. I appointed for Physics last year, and from a long list of around 80, I interviewed 7 and could have appointed 5 of them - it is not a walk in the park... possibly why you are still in the UK.