1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VIetnam

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tassiegirl, Jan 23, 2012.

1. So I have accepted a job in Vietnam. Wooo hoo! Very excited about it and all of the challenges (good and bad) that it will bring.

I have done a search on here and on some expat forums, but there doesn't seem much recent on here and the expat forums are not recent and if they are keep asking me to pay.

Can anyone give me some insight (good or ugly, my decision is made and I am happy with it!) as to life in Southern Vietnam?

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

There are some good, recent posts on the ISR forum (and that part of the site is free).

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Hi tassiegirl,
    Saigon is a mad place. In a good way. The roads are chaotic, the people very friendly if you make an effort, cost of living very low, great places to eat and drink, loadsa places to see, handy for other fascinating destinations. Its hot and humid all year round. Except when it gets ridiculously hot and humid. I got my fruit and veg from a tin hut, my beer from someone's living room and my two teenage children loved the place. Its a developing country so dont expect Tesco and bookshops ( the things I missed most). You can save or blow all your cash and enjoy.

4. Hey
    Vietnam is fabulous, I lived and worked there for five years altogether! It is truly magical and you will have the best time ever! congrats on getting the job and please feel free to PM me with any specific questions, i would be more than happy to answer for you!
    Kaznost :)

5. Kaznost, you have mail!