1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vietnam?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by David Getling, Dec 1, 2010.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Any pearls of wisdom on this country? In particular the school that's been reborn and another who's name would be the same as hundreds of others if the last word was knocked off.

2. David Getling

Any pearls of wisdom on this country? In particular the school that's been reborn and another who's name would be the same as hundreds of others if the last word was knocked off.

3. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Hi David
    I've done quite a lot of research about Vietnam and it's top of my list.
    The school that's been reborn is not good at all, although apparently the package is very decent. Management dreadful. Teachers very unhappy.
    If I understand your hint rightly, the other school you mention is excellent.

4. Does anyone know how they feel about hiring single teachers with 1 child? I was lucky with my current post because they were fine. But I've been turned down before and told that was the reason. Is this likely to be an issue in Vietnam?

5. David Getling

Many thanks for that Nezelette. I'll certainly give the first a very wide berth, and probably put in an application to the other school.

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

dear jinnyjohnson,
    i was single with two children when i worked in vietnam - its no problem at all.
    I worked at BIS which worked you hard but an excellent school. there was a change of smt last year which i think was a good thing.
    renaissance school is basically a school for korean kids - management very focused on making money.
    Ask some questions and I will try to answer

7. I am working in Vietnam. The people are lovely, very friendly and it is very cheap here. It is very easy to save also. We pay around $50 a month for all our household bills.
    I have friends at the second school you mentioned. They are very happy and are renewing their contract.My school is not the best but it is okay. I love Vietnam!

8. David Getling

Hi sangster2, what about language problems. One of my less politically correct comments is "Ich spreche Deutsch wie ein behinderter", but at least I can more or less get by when nobody speaks any English. And I could also manage in a French speaking country. But I don't know how I'd manage in a country where I couldn't speak the language at all.

So, how do most people cope with the day to day stuff like shopping and getting a haircut (not that I've got much left)? Do a lot of Vietnamese speak some English?

9. David Getling

Oops. Should be a capital B in Behinderter -see what I mean.

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I lived in vietnam for two years and all I could say in vietnamese was straight ahead, stop, next left and next right. Vietnamese is near unpronounceable to a westerner as our mouths cant bend in the necessary way. Also, even very slight mispronunciation , for example going up at the end of a word instead of down, is incomprehensible to a native vietnamese speaker. I got by with pointing and smiling a lot.

11. Walking into a barbers and making a scissors action near your head should do it, Dave. Or do you want to learn the word for perm? Shopping: you pick up the item and put it in your basket. Then go to the till.
    Hope this helps!
    [​IMG]

12. Vietnam is a very easy country to live in. There are quite a few people who speak English.
    The agent who helped us find an apartment comes by each month and pays our bills for us. It is the same for nearly all the other teachers we work with. Hairdressers tend to have English translations under the Vietnamese, or if you are where I live, the English is under the Korean.
    Shopping is easy, there are supermarkets which are very cheap. (You can get your shopping delivered for free. You seem to be able to get anything you want delivered here.) You can also use the market but you have to barter, you just need to understand numbers. Vietnamese is a pretty hard language to learn but I am trying.

13. I have an interview with the alphabet school in the capital city.( very obvious clue, but I'm rubbish at being cryptic) They've been very helpful and sent lots of information. Just wondered if anyone had any first hand knowledge of the school.

14. When did they inform you about your interview? I applied there too but I am guessing they don't want me............

15. hippy-chic

It was the 14th; It's a telephone interview.

16. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

No personal information, but very mixed reviews on ISR. They pay on time etc. But the words tyrant and bully were tossed around quite a bit and talk of teachers not getting contracts renewed for speaking out etc.
    Not a horror show, but just something to keep in mind.

17. Does anyone have information about 2 schools in the capital? One with letters sounding like a noise made by a snake and the other that tends to send a lot of peacekeepers in blue berets.
    Any info gratefully received.
    Thanks