1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vietnam Lifestyle

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ImmodestyBlaise, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

I'm considering applying to a large British school in HCMC but am wondering if the lifestyle will suit me and my family.

We have 3 young daughters and enjoy the outdoors (sailing, running, wild swimming, surfing, mountain biking etc.) where we live in Devon. Although we are looking to experience an alternative lifestyle and culture I'm concerned that we may not find the leisure options suitable in HCMC. Many of the posts here that talk of how great the lifestyle is mention cheap restaurants and cheap beer in expat bars, neither of which are of great interest to me. I'm a bit concerned about the traffic danger for kids crossing the road, the danger of cycling or motorbiking, and the down town air pollution. I wouldn't expect to be able to afford weekend flights to great resorts for all 5 of us.

Do you think HCMC is suitable for a young family that enjoys the outdoors?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

absolutely not.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Have to agree with SMTDude here. HCMC is a noisy polluted mad chaotic mess. The weather makes outdoor pursuits an interesting option. Look up the average weather conditions in HCMC on BBC weather. It is very hot and very humid. Renal failure amongst tourists is a common ailment. Doing anything outside means buckets of sweat and you can taste the pollution. If you are concerned about your children crossing the road, ABSOLUTELY, dont go there.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Forgot to say that me and my family loved living there.

5. I currently live in Saigon with a young family and we get on fine. I wouldn't want to live in D2 though with kids as its full of Schumacher wannabee chauffeurs driving their prestigeous Toyota Innovas at stupid speeds.
    Where we live, I can let my kids go out on bikes and skateboards unsupervised, take them to a Lazer Quest or climbing wall. It's ok. You just need to pick and choose where you go. We live 30 minutes from D1 but 40 minutes from D2 so I wouldn't consider our location if you were thinking of working at the big school. We have a much better quality of life here than we did back in blighty.
    Feel free to PM me if you want specifics.

6. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I'm still interested in the idea of living in Vietnam, but I'm not sure this is quite the right time and don't think I'll be applying this time around.
    Thanks again!

7. Which is nice...
    [​IMG]