1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Videoing students for self assessment

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by purplejbeth, Mar 13, 2011.

1. purplejbeth

purplejbeth New commenter

Hi,

I have never filmed students work and played it back to them as a tool for self assessment/evaluation/formative assessment. I am thinking of experimenting with this for a while. I'd like to do it mid-way through projects so students can implement improvements they deem necessary.

I'm also thinking of filming some entire BTEC lessons and getting students to watch the video back and complete a self assessment of how they worked in the lesson (mainly so they get an idea of how much time they're wasting and how they can learn to work together effectively).

Do you think this is a good idea? Will it work? Has anyone done this? Will it be too time-consuming to have any real value? I will be writing up my findings as part of a masters module at the Institute of Education so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josie

2. purplejbeth

purplejbeth New commenter

Hi,

I have never filmed students work and played it back to them as a tool for self assessment/evaluation/formative assessment. I am thinking of experimenting with this for a while. I'd like to do it mid-way through projects so students can implement improvements they deem necessary.

I'm also thinking of filming some entire BTEC lessons and getting students to watch the video back and complete a self assessment of how they worked in the lesson (mainly so they get an idea of how much time they're wasting and how they can learn to work together effectively).

Do you think this is a good idea? Will it work? Has anyone done this? Will it be too time-consuming to have any real value? I will be writing up my findings as part of a masters module at the Institute of Education so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josie

3. Absolutely! I've done it in a slightly different way to you but it's been so useful! We've been filming monologues and group pieces for AS and A2 and watching them back and it really helps them to see where they can improve. I can say something 50 times (diction, unfocused movement, etc. etc. ) but when they watch themselves do it sinks in so much more. I often find that they assess themselves and say the things I was going to say, which then means I don't start to feel like I'm nagging all the time. It's great. I think the idea of showing them the lesson is great - though you may have to edit/fast forward or you would take up a lot of time.